Your best rpg purchase of 2021?

In your opinion, what was the best rpg purchase you made in 2021 and why?

Ticket for Gamehole.
Apologies for all those who wanted and couldn’t make it, but I needed that.

3 Likes

Book wise?
This may be recency bias, but I’m DIGGIN’ KNOCK! This thing is just PACKED with good, concise articles.

2 Likes

Bought “Night Below” box set from Brett - turned out to be the best purchase of the year as Brett included a bonus copy of Avalon!!! Plus a bunch of cool Gaming & BS swag (dice bag, buttons, bookmarks).

Coming in behind that was Goodman Games release of t1-4: The Temple of Elemental Evil for 5e.
One way or another 2022 is going to see some old school gaming!
:smiley:
Rory

5 Likes

My best purchase this year was Vaesen. The game has been hyped like crazy and I feel it really lives up to it. Johan Egerkrans’ art is incredible and inspiring. I quickly picked up his original book on Vaesen, then Undead, and Nordic Gods. They’re all absolutely brilliant. The game captures a unique feel and experience, similar to a few other games but unique enough to be its own.

This is one game I think everyone should experience at least once in their lives. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m starting to feel the pressure.

3 Likes

I picked up a copy about a week ago - So far it’s exactly what I wanted it to be. I’m hopeful that it hits the table with the same impact it has while I’m reading it.

1 Like

I got to use a Kickstarter product that has really helped with a problem at my way-too-narrow [physical] table.

I’m now able to put my Bluetooth Speaker in the center of the table under the map and run some wires for a remote-only player to a mini-level closeup cam. Also, player food and paperwork ends up in less of the game photos!

3 Likes

I don’t like spending money on the hobby, but this past week I bought some foamboard and felt and made a DIY dice tower that’s going to be nifty.

3 Likes

I almost went in on this one. I love the idea of elevated gaming space for terrain/minis in the middle of the game table (for those games that need it). Share pics if you took any. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting. Given the new elevated table, almost none of the player-taken photos now include the entire play area (an unexpected bonus - more closeups!)

Here’s an image from the remote player’s zoom…

Here’s what it looks like when the built-in grid serves the 3D terrain scene…

3 Likes

Looks awesome, love the terrain too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Forbidden Lands. No Contest! It has rekindled my desire to explore the unexplored. I had forgotten about the mystery and wonderment of hex adventuring (I don’t say hex crawl because it sometimes has a bad connotation). I enjoy the FL sandbox and it has strengthened my improvisation skills. Many of the ideas and rules have creeped into my other games.

I have also been passing on the enjoyment of hex adventuring to others. Nothing can beat that sparkle in their eye when they come across the dilapidated tower on their journey. Then the gears that turn in my head to bring it to life. That is why I love this hobby!!

Feelin Good about Hex Adventuring

7 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying that box set of “Night Below” that you got from @Fafhrd ! I almost bought it but timing just wasn’t right (long story). I still want to run it so I’ll probably get it as POD from DTRPG. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Mathieu!
It was a great purchase, and Brett went above and beyond by including his Avalon book & some cool Gaming & BS swag. In retrospect I should not have been surprised, but I did a happy dance about the game room when I opened the box.

Hope you had a great Christmas and have a Happy & Covid-free New years!

:smiley: Rory

2 Likes