WOTC Looking for a Senior Manager of Director of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion

I would really love to see this position filled by someone in a marginalized community, to get their perspective on this position and make substantive change at WOTC.

3 Likes

Hopefully they’ll get someone who’s good at this.

Hopefully they’ll let someone be good at this, and actually give them authority to make substantive changes. I hate being cynical, but large companies (WOTC is owned by Hasbro) tend to have a lot of inertia.

2 Likes

Yep - big ships take a long time to turn around. Never easy or quick.

This has to be driven by CEO down. If that does not happen, then it’s just going through the motions…this applies to ALL companies. Brett and I worked at one. THey’re probably the most diverse employer in the area. Why? Because the EVP has a personal stake in it, and he is VERY close to the CEO. They hire people and empower them to do whatever it takes for D&I.

4 Likes

I had some more thoughts I expanded on in the blog post here. Essentially, I think this could easily turn into something that doesn’t have much value, but without at least attempting this, they aren’t going to get any better. It’s kind of a watershed moment.

I also think that if they end up hiring a white dude for this position, it’s a big red flag that they are looking for someone to take all of the heat for bad decisions, rather than someone that’s actually allowed to make serious change.

Regarding the CEO, Chris Cocks has mainly made statements about how D&D is more profitable now than it has been in the past, but hasn’t really gotten “down in the trenches” to discuss D&D with fans the same way that other people on the team have, and it’s not hard to see him as the person delivering profit to Hasbro. I guess we’ll see.