Wilderness Map Drawing Seminar - Information and Discussion

I’ll be hosting a map drawing seminar with a focus on hand-drawn outdoor “wilderness” maps, Sunday morning at 10:00 AM CST. Topics will include:

• Tools and materials (i.e., pens and paper).
  • What are maps for?
  • Live demonstrations of:
    • Basic shapes
    • Terrain features
    • Creating depth
    • Composition & basic geography
  • Finding a style
  • Photographing maps
  • Discussion / Q&A

Plus if time allows, a mini-workshop for your own map projects.

Recent Examples of Maps I’ve Drawn

5 Likes

Please sir, may I have a recording?

Maybe? I don’t know how, and I’ll have to see if there’s a way to do it without messing with the live session or requiring my attention while I’m focused on other things. But if not, I’m happy to chat about maps another time too.

@sean , help please? :slight_smile:

I think I can swing recording this.

Are you using Discord for this @jim ?

I am. But looking at OBS, it seems like it’d be pretty easy to record just my audio and video, without any of the attendees. I think that’s preferable, because otherwise I’d need to make sure everyone else is fine with being recorded and possibly put up on YouTube or wherever. While I’d like to accommodate @LaramieWall and anyone else who isn’t able to attend, I don’t want to discourage anyone who can attend but isn’t comfortable appearing in a recording from participating. And personally, if the session is recorded, then I’d prefer it be private or at least unlisted on YouTube because I’m already nervous enough trying to teach a small audience who are present and able to ask questions if something isn’t clear.

Again, I’m also happy to just hop in a video channel and do some show & tell about map drawing techniques pretty much whenever anyone wants to, con session or otherwise.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan. Let me know if you need any help. I’ll leave it in your hands unless I hear differently. I am happy to put it up on our youtube and keep it unlisted, if you want, just as an option. I would understand if you don’t want to use our account.

1 Like

I 100% defer to this assessment.
The in person attendees ABSOLUTELY are more important than me wanting a recording. If that’s an issue, yes, please do not record it and let the crowd interact.