I recently saw a discussion on a closed community I belong to on Facebook with a bunch of people on this topic, so I thought I’d extend the discussion here. So if you had a chance to go back and change how weapons and armor work in RPGs. Historically the best weapons were generally spears, but no one uses them in most RPGs. What would you do to get things to be more interesting, yet quick while playing.
A couple thoughts:
- Give Weapons and Armor Pre-Reqs for abilitiy scores. If you don’t meet the pre-req you pay for it with reduced effectiveness
- Give weapons and armor initiative benefits / costs.
- Give weapons additional reach stats. For example a dagger has the ability to be used while grappeled, while a sword doesn’t.
- Certain weapons could be more effective against certain armor types. A Flail ignores a shield. A Hammer ignores chain and plate.
- Some weapons might act differently at different reach ranges. A two handed sword might act as a sword at one reach category and a spear at another.
What are your thoughts? What would you do?