Warlock! - Old-School British Gaming

Trying out this CATS thing:

Concept: (Shamelessly copied from the Warlock website):
Warlock is a rules-light roleplaying game that aims to emulate the feeling of old-school British tabletop games of wondrous and fantastical adventure. Warlock looks to reproduce the play style of its illustrious predecessors but in a light, quick and simple manner, with a consistent rules set that is easily hackable and adaptable as desired.

Aim:
To have fun together while giving both the players and GM a solid taste of this system. We will play multiple sessions (aiming for 3, but could be anywhere from 2-4) in order to experience all aspects of the system, including character advancement. (Full disclosure: this will be my first time running the system, so expect some rough edges.)

Tone:
Low fantasy, inspired by Warhammer Fantasy and the Fighting Fantasy books. A Human-centric fantasy world that resembles the late medieval to early renaissance age. Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings exist but are in the minority. Traitors and rival factions lurk in the Humanoid settlements, while goblins, trolls, the bizarre unmen, and other creatures roam the wilderness. Combat and magic are dangerous. While the setting is somewhat grim, I tend to keep the tone fairly lighthearted in my games.

Subject Matter:
Your characters are just trying to scrape by and have turned to adventuring in the hopes of a better life. Expect a mix of roleplay, exploration, and combat.

As listed in the Gaming and BS Roundtable Spreadsheet, I’m looking for 3-6 players.

You’ll create characters before the game, but I promise the semi-random character creation mechanism is quick and easy. I’m happy to help.

We’ll use the G&BS Discord server for voice/video. Still undecided on the VTT, but expect theater of the mind combat and low tech. Possibly Foundry, with PDF based character sheets, or possibly just Owlbear Rodeo or no VTT at all.

Aiming to kick things off in late October. I’ll send out a Doodle poll to align on dates/times.

If you’re interested, please reply to this forum post and/or add your name to the spreadsheet.

1 Like

I’m definitely interested, as long as my schedule aligns.

1 Like

Interested!!

1 Like

Interested!

1 Like

Also interested. October is pretty good, but I do have some vacation planned and I know @jim is planning some games too…

1 Like

Obviously I’m in! As you know, I’ve already made my character. (I’m not sure why I’m glomming onto this project above most others. :grinning:)

You mention perhaps using PDF character sheets in Foundry. To my knowledge, there aren’t form-fillable sheets available, and I’m not tech-savvy enough to make one. Do you have one?

1 Like

@Gabe : Yes, there’s a form-fillable character sheet, and I know some folks have used this successfully with PDFoundry.

Having said that, I’m increasingly leaning towards keeping things low-tech, as I’m planning to use theater of the mind for combat and punt on battlemaps and tokens. Possibly just Discord, with players either rolling their own physical dice or optionally using a dice bot. Since the Warlock character sheet is so simple, I might whip up a quick Google Sheets version, which I’ve found pretty convenient for these things.

1 Like

Thanks for the interest, everyone! Between the forum post and the spreadsheet, we have 6 potential players: @Gabe @mgr @Farty @Harrigan @jim @Luckstrider

Let’s start figuring out a time slot that works for us. I propose running this biweekly at the same time, if at all possible. I would like to kick this off between Oct 18 and 31. I created a Doodle poll for that period. Please interpret each slot as “biweekly sessions starting at this day/time”. If there are exceptions to this, please feel free to ping me - I’m sure we can work around these somehow.

As you see in the Doodle (assuming its funky time zone support didn’t mess things up…), I am generally proposing weeknights at 7pm MDT or weekends at 10am MDT and aiming for 3-hour sessions. Consider these times somewhat flexible; I can adjust this interval by about +/- 1 hour, so we can align on the start time that works best for everyone.

Ping me here or on Discord if you have any questions. :slight_smile:

My biweekly Saturday group does mosly Discord + G-Sheets + physical dice and I dig it. Nothing wrong with a low-tech solution for a game like Warlock!

Filled out the Doodle.

1 Like

Filled out the poll

1 Like

I filled it out too. And I’m also fine with Discord, physical dice, and whatever is convenient for character sheets (including actual sheets of paper).

1 Like

Thanks, all.

The poll looks promising so far, based on the first 5 votes (myself included). Thu Oct 21 is the leading option so far, followed by Mon Oct 25 and Thu Oct 28. We still need @Luckstrider and @mgr 's votes, though, so I won’t call it just yet.

Just a quick preview: I made a character sheet in Google Sheets. Could probably be prettied up a bit, but should do the trick.

I’ll share a final version as we get closer to the game, so everyone can enter their characters.

2 Likes

I added my very limited availability to the Poll. The Wife and I discussed schedules a bit and every other Thursday works best for me right now, so long as it is offset from the Forbidden Lands game.

1 Like

Thanks, Kevin.

Good news: The Thu Oct 21 slot amazingly seems to work for everyone!
Bad news: This conflicts with @jim 's Tomb of the Iron God campaign. :slight_smile:

Since Jim’s game looks like it’ll start sooner (Oct 7), I’m leaning towards using the same biweekly Thursday slot but pushing the start out until after Jim’s game wraps up - especially since there are a lot of overlapping players. This would mean starting on Nov 4 or Nov 18.

Let’s aim for that, unless anything changes on Jim’s game’s side. Will keep you updated.

2 Likes

Well, shoot. I’ll take another look this afternoon, but otherwise if we do start on the 7th, I’ll do my best to keep things moving so we can wrap it up in 2 sessions.

1 Like

@jim No need to rush things on my behalf. :slight_smile:

(I almost considered asking if I could still join your campaign, now that we’re running these in sequence, but then realized I’m actually on vacation when you’re kicking this off.)

1 Like

Well, you’re welcome to join if you’re able to find the time in between having fun on vacation.

1 Like

Thanks - but I’ll likely be on an off-road trail with my Jeep and with no Internet access at that time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright, let’s finalize the time slot for this mini campaign: We’ll play on alternating Thursdays from 7pm-10pm MDT.

We’ll kick off two weeks after @jim 's Tomb of the Iron God campaign wraps up. This puts us at Thu Nov 4 as the earliest start date, but potentially two weeks later, Thu Nov 18. We should be able to finalize the date after Oct 21. I’ll update the thread then.

I wrote up a doc with some player info here. This covers character creation (although I realize some of you already completed this), including some pointers on character backgrounds, to make sure we can tie everyone together and jump right into the adventure plot.

The doc also links to a Google Sheet with a blank character sheet for each of you. Feel free to fill this out when you’re creating your character. I’m planning to use the same sheet during the game for notes, party loot, etc.