Vault of Magic Kickstarter Guest Designer

This Kickstarter isn’t struggling at all, and most of us that are inclined to back it were probably already backing it on the strength of Kobold Press’ record alone, but I love Gail, so I’m happy about this.

1 Like

Oh. I commented on your comment there.

And since you’re a big fan, we are probably now enemies. :slight_smile:

I read a few of her books when I worked a comic shop, and they never really caught my attention. If memory serves, I think it was Wonder Woman and Welcome to Tranquility. I read a few issues of each, and just never went back. But as I said there, if a person likes horror comics (and I do) I think her Clean Room was AMAZING!!!

1 Like

Honestly, Gail has done enough work now that I’m sure there is plenty for people to like and dislike. Heck, I have TONS of criticisms of Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Brian Michael Bendis, and Jonathan Hickman, despite all of them being more or less golden for getting whatever project they want.

Her Wonder Woman arc lost a little cohesion for me towards the end, but that’s also because DC comics in general did because of editorial decisions around that time. I still love Wonder Woman letting gorillas from Gorilla City stay in her apartment because they couldn’t go back home.

Outside of Birds of Prey, my favorites have been her pre-New 52 Secret Six run, which to me was amazing, and her Red Sonja comics. She just really seemed to be in her element writing those.

1 Like

To your point, I tend to not sweat writers working on big name supers books, because I presume there is a lot of editorial control there, vs letting them just go. I’m guessing the reason Bendis/ Brubaker Daredevil was as good as it was is that no one cared about what they were doing.

1 Like

Yeah, Bendis on Daredevil or even the original run of Ultimate Spider-Man doesn’t seem like the Bendis that was doing Avengers or Superman. Then again, that may also be a matter of street-level versus higher stakes not being in his comfort zone, even if he thinks it is.

1 Like