Top 10? D&D Adventures?

I dont know about this. Each one lists something special but does that make them ‘top x’?
https://www.thegamer.com/best-dungeons-dragons-adventures-ranked/amp/

Top 10 lists are all about click bait and eyeballs.

But are also fun, so I don’t begrudge them my attention.

But not including White Plume Mtn nor anything post Ad&D is a fail imho. And what? Barrier Peaks is only 9th?

1 Like

Pretty good list. I’m biased towards Ravenloft as #1. From the classic era B4 Lost City is a favorite too. More recently I think Red Hand of Doom is very good.

• this list is all pre 2e AD&D 1989
  • many gamers started with 3.5 in 2003.
  • there were many good 2e, 3.5, 4e and now 5e modules, so the linked list seems aimed at grognards.

tsr/wotc definitely got better and making modules, especially with layout and overview of the general flow of the adventure

thus i would include
2e-Night Below, Wonders of Lankhmar
3e-Rappan Athuk (megadungeon that pulls no punches)
4e-Keep on the Shadowfell
5e-Curse of Strahd

2 Likes

I ran several AD&D 2nd Edition Adventures that I don’t want to say were “bad,” but they definitely don’t belong in any top 10 list. In Search of Dragons, Dragon Magic, and Dragon Keep were weird Dragonlance adventures. Under the Dark Fist was the single most infuriating Spelljammer product I ever purchased, and I was still dumb enough to run it. Test of the Samurai for Kara-Tur was also weird, and was written by the same authors as the aforementioned Dragonlance adventures.

I think the most favorable adventure I ran during this time, the one where I really felt like I understood what the author was trying to do, and followed along, was Mad Monkey Versus Dragon Claw, which latched on to Wuxia tropes and rode them into the sunset.

1 Like

Aside from some Dungeon magazine stuff, all my 2e experiences were homebrew worlds. I’m in the process of reading a lot of stuff from the past to catch up and get inspiration. Of course, that’s what happens when one gets a look at Alex’s collection.

@Chrisshorb is right though — total clickbait.

I enjoyed the Blood Stone Pass set very much in my 2e day.

1 Like

I’m going to have to check that one out, @Beholdershorde!

1 Like

I understand how these lists have to only include ‘official’ TSR/WOTC products but consequenty any such list misses 75%+ of the greatest D&D compatible material.

2 Likes

Yeah. I wanna run Tegal Manor some Halloween.

3 Likes

Only my adventures are the top, Sean. Just mine.

1 Like

I read a good series of articles about this from DMDavid. While I can’t find his top 10 before 1985, I can find a link to the top 10 since:

3 Likes

But of course. :wink:

The top 10 D&D Adventures are the homebrew ones a DM creates themselves!

4 Likes

I’d like to see a list of top 10 non-TSR published modules. Maybe per edition… I mean, Judge’s Guild produced some sweet AD&D modules - I think I’ve got some of them around here somewhere…

1 Like

I’m not thrilled with the splat book/mechanics focus that developed, but Paizo really did put out a lot of quality adventures for Pathfinder. I just wish the mid-level ones didn’t end up with so many “this dungeon is big because you need XP to level” sections in them.

If I had to nominate two “not TSR, not WOTC” semi-D&D adventures, it would be the following:

The Sixfold Trial (Part Two of the Pathfinder Council of Thieves adventure path, where you have to perform a play as part of the adventure)

Sailors on the Starless Sea (just a great 0-level adventure for explaining the kind of adventures DCC is good at delivering)

I did enjoy playing through the council of thieves overall adventure path. I had forgotten about the play - that was fun!

1 Like

For me, context is king. “Top10?” Top 10 for Who/What?

The top 10 for experienced players is going to be one list.
The top 10 for new players is going to be another.
Top ten for Kids? Top 10 for mature play?
Likewise with top 10 for heavy-RP…
Top 10 one-shots, top 10 for campaign development…
Low/Mid/High level play…
Then (as others mentioned) there is the source question…
And ruleset [I must stop re-editing this post now…]
[There are more than 10 selection criteria - tough to combine…]

Etc.

I would submit just one to qualify for this thread:
For first-time players (including late primary kids) published and 5e updated by D&D: The Sunless Citadel - it has dungeons, dragons and introduces many important mechanics and tropes - and subverts at least one with Meepo.

[It would not make my top 10 for experienced players]