The new wotc book is critical role

So millions of critical role fans will be happy, but others may not be so enthusiastic. Let the arguments begin. Are you happy to see a new campaign world from wotc?

I don’t think this will be a book I’ll pick up unless its at an extreme discount. I’ve never watched Critical Role, so I’m not familiar with it, and it annoys me when players will tell me I’m DMing something wrong, and with the popularity of CR… Yeah. I’d have rather seen a 5e Dragonlance, Dark Sun, or even Spelljammer book instead.

That being said, The Rick and Morty book is one I’ll never pick up. It just doesn’t resonate with me. Acquisitions Incorporated for the Penny Arcade related stuff doesn’t interest me, but what I’ve heard about the mechanics in the book do… so that one is a coin flip.

1 Like

With as much good stuff for 5E from 3rd-party publishers, I doubt I’ll buy another WotC book again.

1 Like

There with you Joe however it’s a new market used to R&M and other things we probably deem as “meh”. However with the rich content of Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Dark Sun, and etc., I don’t think it would take a huge effort to rekindle the interest. I know some folks will say that a 3rd party will pick it up but has there been anything decent? I would love to see something…

2 Likes

Although I don’t own it, I’ve heard good things about Crifoth as a Dark Sun-like setting for 5E.

I am not likely to run a game set in Exandria, but I love setting books, especially if the setting book is really good at telling me what the setting wants me to be doing.

I have the previous Critical Role 5e book that was published by Green Ronin, and it did an excellent job of explaining a region, talking about the kinds of adventures you would have in that region, and giving you adventure hooks for the region. I love that level of functionality, and the fact that the designers remembered that a setting has to be interesting AND gameable to make a compelling sourcebook.

Given that I’m pretty sure the people that worked on that book are also working on this book, I’m looking forward to seeing it. The subclasses, which deal with magic that manipulate time and gravity, sound like something I haven’t seen before in 5e, so that should be fun as well.

As far as 5e 3rd party products worth picking up, I’m a huge fan of Kobold Press’ Midgard setting. Adventures in Middle-earth was a brilliant line that is probably going to get rare really fast given that Cubicle 7 vacated the license, but there is some great stuff that can be mined for other 5e games. I’m intrigued by Onyx Path’s Scarred Lands books. I didn’t get into the setting in the 3e days, but I have the core 5e book, and I’m interested, but not thrilled with the kind of “lets model 3e rules in 5e” implementation in a few places (like prestige classes revisited).

Sasquatch Game Studios’ Primeval Thule is also a really interesting setting that adds elves and dwarves to bronze age Conan style stories, and also adds in a lot of mythos elements, and someday I would love to run a campaign in that setting as well.

1 Like

I’m with you on Primeval Thule. I’ve been planning on starting a new campaign based on that setting. Hopefully, sometime this year.