Soundtracks or Music for atmosphere

What are some great soundtracks or music you recommend playing games with?
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for Deadlands. Lord of the Rings and Final Fantasy for D&D, etc. Are great ideas! What are some hidden gems that go well and with what?

2 Likes

See this thread:

2 Likes

I usually use dark ambient for background. There’s a ton on YouTube or Cryochamber. I also use the Tabletop Audio website for ambient music mixed with background noises appropriate for the location (or no music and just background noises.) They also have a lot of sound effects you can toss in as needed.

2 Likes

Table top audio is a great resource for all kinds of games. You can build a play list or use the sound board to customize your sounds. The creator gives full access for free but does accept donations on patron.

3 Likes

I’ve been using DMDJ on my iPad for a while now and it works really well.

2 Likes

This is definitely a topic I’ve been interested in learning more about.
Do you all only do general background noise ex. tavern mumble jumble or cavern dripping? Or do you do action specific noises ex. opening the door, jingle of coins?
Do you ever feel like noises take away from the focus of your game?
Interested in hearing more!

1 Like

I don’t really have time to do special sounds with working the DM stuff so I just set a sound track!

1 Like

I’ve tried using sounds from my ipad, but I want it connected to a speaker, and my current speaker is just weird. I may have to try from another setup.

I do find Sirinscape to be really rough on my iPad Air. responsive and buggy. I may need a new iPad, but sound at the table isn’t worth picking up a new one for me. I used to use my phone for some tunes on my toll20 games, but I switched to using my phone to connect to discord (as I had too many issues with the desktop app), so the phone isn’t available anymore for that purpose.

1 Like

I actually just had this discussion with some fellow GMs after running an adventure this past weekend in which I used a piece of music (a cool cover of Elvis’ Can’t Help Falling In Love) with a narrated scene. The character had an AI that had been invading his system and becoming… problematic. This was the adventure to ditch “her.” I listened to that piece of music a ton of times so that I could hit narrative points with the emotional points of the song. It worked so well I am still getting texts from the players about it being amazing.

HOWEVER, this isn’t every time. I do love to use background/ambient music - both for setting, but also a switch in music can bring players’ attention back to the table if they wander. Sometimes I use sound effects, but short SFX are often too much fiddling (other than creepy things for certain settings or a gun shot). I also feel that you need to be really comfortable and confident with the music, your use of software/app (nothing sucks like a big moment falling because iTunes is updating), and somewhat know the effect of the piece of music you’re choosing (I chose a piece once that was someone’s wedding song… they were divorced… oops).

All that said, for me who loves story-telling and manipulating emotions, nothing works like the perfect piece of music to get everyone at the table to buy in.

2 Likes