Shotguns and Sorcery Review at Gnome Stew

Today I have a review up for Shotguns and Sorcery, an RPG based on a series of hard-boiled fantasy stories. It adds some neat tools to the fantasy toolkit for Cypher System (on which it is based), but may lean a little too hard on the hard-boiled tropes in some ways that consumers may want to know about.

1 Like

When I scrolled through the artwork, I thought it was an old west game, not something set in the 1920’s. Strange how they couldn’t settle on a system. I don’t know much about how Cypher works. I wonder why they settled on that? The game sounds like a stew, ingredients from a bunch of things stirred together.

1 Like

To be fair, the 1920s are TOO MUCH of a stretch from the old west… only about 15 years +/-.

Yeah, for sure.

(Hope that didn’t come across as a criticism, sorry if it did. Just that I feel like since they are so divergent in genre, it can be forgotten that they aren’t so far removed from one another. Like “ancient” Egypt and the Roman Empire overlapping.)

1 Like

Not at all.

1920’s CoC looks and feels different from Trail of Cthulhu. I have no idea what the rest of the art in the book looks like but the pieces used in the article didn’t feel like the 1920’s (i.e. cars.) They felt like they belonged in an older period in history or maybe they were more countryside pieces? Doesn’t matter really.

1 Like

Also, history is weird.

1 Like