Reusing ideas and tropes in your games

So I’ve been writing up some fluff for my 5e campaign and decided to look through my old notebooks. I couldn’t help but notice how many ideas I had reused throughout my many different campaigns and one shots over the years and came to conclusion that I clearly used to like reusing the same few ideas, anybody else do this? If so what ideas and tropes do you like to reuse?

2 Likes

A time traveller. Not time travel, but the idea of a time traveller pulling the strings from the background.

In many ways, I often have a puppet master behind it all. Shit, at one point I toyed around with a puppet master who controlled the puppet masters of all my individual campaigns for a new game where each player brought back a single character from any of those campaigns, crossed timelines, and join forces for an epic hallway fight scene to end all hallway fight scenes.

It hasn’t happened. Yet.

2 Likes

“Luke, I am your father.”
I love to tie my antagonists to the PCs, even more so when the PCs have no idea, leading to a dramatic reveal.

All of my games are about uncovering a conspiracy. Uncovering the truth about the game’s reality is a great payoff.

It even works in Only War “So it turns out the Ork Warboss was behind the Waaaaaagh!”

“Excellent detective work Private Dingleberry, now fix bayonets.”

2 Likes

I’m a lousy planner. “I don’t plan, I improve”. Poor life philosophy, but works pretty well in an ICU setting.

1 Like

Both as a player and a GM, I love to follow or use lost or forgotten gods. Useful as adventure hooks if there is a cleric in the party. “You receive a vision of a temple for your god Zestronid lost in the western swamps”. It never feels right that it is a lost temple to Torm; an organized church would have resolved the lost temple decades ago.

2 Likes

I really need to look at the dates on these threads now that I am digging into the forums.

Don’t stress it. I accidentally necro’d a thread much older than this a few weeks back. All input is welcome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I second that- post in any thread you find interesting - not everyone posts in the first go round.
I for one tend to like to throw in time travel, the villainous brother, and “chaos” magic items that teleport the players from place to place.
Oh - and prophetic dreams!!!
Can’t play d&d without a prophetic dream!

1 Like