Random Weather - Hex Flower

Hi BS’ers

Hope all is good with you.

Random weather generation in RPGs is often not done very well. Often it can be too random, or have jarring changes.

So, I thought I might share my Weather Hex Flower:

Here’s a link to a PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/367072.

A Hex Flower is a bit like a random table but with a ‘memory’, so you can set the HF up so the changes in weather are more gradual/consistent, but still allow for some more oddball results.

Anyway, please check it out … it’s PWYW so it need not cost you anything.

:O)

3 Likes

Damn! This is pretty awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been using the weather hex flower in my campaign. Thank you @GoblinsH .

2 Likes

Cool, glad to hear it!

Make sure I’m doing this “right”.
say I’m in the very bottom kinda cloudy with the x at the bottom. If I roll a 6,7, stay there. If I roll an 8,9… I go both left and down, so it wraps to…? the top right thunder storm by the event?

1 Like

@GoblinsH I had picked up the Forbidden Lands version of a weather hex flower from DTRPG a few months ago. The use of a hex flower is so simple and tight. The different seasons make sense and using the probability spread of 2d6 is a no brainer. This is the first time I have introduced weather and (can you believe it!!) WIND into a campaign and have not let it trail off as being not important and hand waving it.

I have taken a look at your other hex flowers and it definitely gets the wheels spinning. Great job on those! I also wandered over to your wordpress website. I’m excited to start delving into the material there. I’m a big fan of using spreadsheets.

Feelin Good about Flowers

2 Likes

Hi @LaramieWall - Thanks for the comment. If you are in the bottom-most hex and roll 6 or 7 (you are correct, you stay in the current hex), but if you roll 8 or 9 you go off the hex flower and wrap around to the opposite edge of the HF, following the same “row” (or column), and so appear at the bottom of column 5 (white cloud with three rain drops). The PDF gives some examples.

@FeelinGoodLouis - glad you like the HF’s. I must have missed the FL HF, will have to look it up!

Thank you for the help. Yeah, I bought the hex flower cookbook on DriveThru, but haven’t made time to read it (so much to read, so little time…)

2 Likes

Thanks for picking up the Hex Flower Cookbook. :+1:
The link at the top to the weather HF has short ‘walk through’ example.

1 Like