Promotion and question (FGG publishing panel)

Frog God Games is celebrating our one-year anniversary of organized play in the Lost Lands (S&W, 5e, and PF). Info is mostly available on our Discord server (https://discord.gg/jz4tejGu and https://discord.gg/9YhYsn4j for the event itself.) That’s the promotion part.
As part of this event, our senior editor, Jeff Harkness, and I are hosting a discussion about modifying and publishing adventures for different rule sets (in this case, within the broad D&D spectrum). As certified listeners to BS, I’m hoping you could help us with some questions or areas of discussion that you think might be worthwhile. I think we’ll also talk about the strange combination of technical and creative writing that goes into an adventure—the tension between getting information across in a useful way and making the writing fun and exciting. If you have thoughts in that direction, I’d be interested to hear them too.
Thanks BSers!

5 Likes

Nice! Congratulations!

Question: What parts of monster stat blocks are most important to modify based on a system?

Question: What parts of monster stat blocks don’t really require modification?

Question: Do you like to start with a certain base system (S&W, 5e, PF, or other) and modify to the other systems from there?

1 Like

Thanks @Luckstrider. We’ll definitely talk about the creatures! Some of the more subtle bits seems to be the traps and secret doors and stuff, oddly. Switching between more narrative and more mechanical.

2 Likes

Interesting stuff.

I’m interested in the tension between recent info-first presentations (OSE) vs. artistic presentation (MBorg) vs. the more traditional entry and paragraph setup. Whenever I’m in one mode, I find myself partially seeking the others. So, how do you strike that balance? How difficult do you find it to sacrifice flavor or clarity for style? (I know–in a perfect word, you wouldn’t have to. Such is communicative entropy.)

How much are you aware of technical advancements when considering diction in a write-up? (So many things are nearly different now with the prevalence of online gaming, maybe.)

Well, these are occurring to me now, anyhow.

Ignore at will!
George

3 Likes

When is this @enn.in.me ?

We’ll put it out in tonight’s episode.

1 Like

I think George and Kevin had some great points!

OSE has a very clean procedure for handling exploration, while 5e is much less codified. How does that effect moving between editions/rulesets. (Sorry not familiar with PF, though I think this holds true to 3.5 and 5e).

For games like S&W, OSE, etc, the “rulings over rules” vs. “cover every eventuality” must effect how much an author feels like they must tie up every thread instead of leaving some mysteries, and not telegraphing every intent of the adventure. That seems like a lot of revision to move between the two.

2 Likes

Some good thoughts! Somewhat similarly, yesterday I both reviewed a scenario draft submitted to Frog God for potential publication and made waffles. The waffle recipe calls for 2 to 7 tbsp of melted butter–that’s a crazy range and not what I expect from a recipe. The adventure scenario included lots of “you might do this”, and “feel free to adjust this or that to make things more fun/easier/harder”. Rule edition aside, it gets me thinking about what folks pay for when they buy an adventure–somebody who has thought out the details and written them up, or somebody to provide a skeleton story that they can hang their own details and mechanics on. In the same way I feel bad as a Gm railroading my players, I feel bad as a publisher railroading the GM–but that’s also where the value is. Otherwise, we’d just publish, “make some shit up and see what the players do.” Thanks for your ideas!

2 Likes

Hmm–I thought I replied directly. Maybe I don’t understand how this forum thing works… In case I didn’t respond, it is July 18th at 4 PM Eastern and will be run on Zoom. Info through the FGG Discord above.

1 Like