Potentially the Last of the FFG RPG Products

With the news of the layoffs at FFG, including a lot of the RPG department, I took a look on their site to see what RPG products were still in the pipeline, and when they are scheduled to come out.

1 Like

Big, if disappointing, industry news. I didn’t like the funky dice system they made, but at least they were doing something new.

1 Like

I wonder where this will lead for their IP’s?
What are the odds they’ll sell off some of them to break even, do you think?

If the goal is make money with no effort… sure?

1 Like

They still have X-Wing, Armada, and Legion, which are all doing well and likely have a wider margin than RPGs.

As far as we know, the licencing for roleplaying games and tabletop games are all one license, so if FFG doesn’t make RPGs for Star Wars, they just don’t get made.

As far as the parent company? Whenever the company looks good to sell, they’ll sell it, in part or in whole, depending on the offer. It’s not a company that’s looking to get into the games industry, is a company looking to buy low and sell high.

1 Like

They may be planning to keep producing material, but using freelancers. I hope so, anyway.

1 Like

The only problem with that is that they already used freelancers for their products, and the on-staff RPG employees were editors and art directors, at least, from what it appears.

1 Like

This is disappointing. I know they are axing their Interactive division here in Madison. Maybe they’ll roll that area into Asmodee Digital, but the people here are being let go.

1 Like

This is a bummer. I recently bought the Genesys core book (pdf) and was hoping to try it out. I don’t want to plunk down money on dice and books on yet another untried RPG, but this might force me too.

As a side note, when did game book prices start shooting through the roof? It is such an investment to get actual books anymore or gosh darn novelty dice!

There’s a Genesys dice app available for Android. I don’t think it’s free, but if not it’s a lot less expensive than the dice and works very well. (Half my group prefer the dice, the other half the app.)

2 Likes