Photos: Show us your terrain!

I was going to post some terrain photos in the minis thread but let’s start a new one, seeing as terrain was a show topic a few weeks ago (and I never got around to emailing B&S)

Something like 90% of my own games are ‘theatre of the mind’ mostly because I run a lot of public/con games and dragging a ton of minis and scenery around is a PITA, but I do paint a lot of minis and really enjoy running games with a simple battlemat or even the occaisional full on ‘set piece’ scenery games.

Pictures from a small local con where I ran some Whitebox and some DCC using Fat Dragon 3D printed scenery.

5 Likes

I aspire to be you. Looks great.

1 Like

Is the “House of cheap street” papercraft?
RW

No, it’s also 3D printed from Fat Dragon Games’ sets.

Here are a couple more pictures:

!
!
!

2 Likes

Nice!
Have some of the dwarven forge buildings - but they’re jsut too expensive.
I’ll have to check out FDR and their 3d models.
Coincidentally my staff are setting up a new Lulz 3d Printer as I type this…
:smiley:
RW

1 Like

Dwarven Forge is gorgeous but I agree on the price front!

I love 3D printed terrain, Fat Dragon make the best in my experience but it’s a time consuming process to print and paint, so you either have to create a big stock of tiles or plan well in advance, which is where 3D printing excels - I planned the house/shop building and only printed the parts I needed, had it printed in good time for the 2018 UK Games Expo and I’ve run it as a set piece adventure a couple of times since.

3D Printing is also handy extra bits like the horned skull in one of those pictures. It was an item in the adventure and I was easily able to find a model to represent it, scale it down to print in less than an hour. It’s usually possible to find good proxy minis for ‘one off’ monsters and NPCs.

I think I’m going to wait until I retire before buying a 3D printer - I’d ove to fiddle with it and print stuff - but the time factor is a pain right now. I’d rather spend the time painting the hundereds of unpainted minis I already have.
I am thinking about getting into the foam crafting for terrain - I have the tools (hot wire etc) but again the time commitment takes away from painting minis & prepping game content…
:slight_smile:
Rory

1 Like

made this hilly area out of paper, glue and plastic cups
got the mottled effect on the landscape by using the end of a bush as a brush

5 Likes

I’m getting started on 3d printing, getting better everyday. Just made a nice bar tonight…

1 Like

Last summer I made a couple of small hills with the foam cutter - I gave them to one of the other DMs in our group.
Simple one level hills, styrofoam, covered in wet wrapping tissue paper & “painted” over with a mix of white glue and water.
Waited for it harden, painted brown & grey - then covered the top in various ground covers.

6 Likes

Here’s a terrain hack I discovered to convert paper maps to be 3d - but store flat!

Here’s the video showing the construction technique. Intended for beginners.

9 Likes

Is it just me or are there D&D maps everywhere you look. Also, Mmmmm. Coffee residue.

5 Likes

My terrain now makes me feel insecure.

4 Likes

Insecure? Looks good to me?

2 Likes

Came across a couple more pics while I was looking for something else

Skull Entrance from Rapanathuk (3D printed, Fat Dragon Games)

More Fat Dragon ‘Dragonlock’ tiles with LED lighting.

4 Likes

For curiosity, I’m going to have to look into these. How do they compare to Dwarven Forge?

I print and paint my own so cost per tile is much lower, albeit theres a couple of hundred pound/dollar setup cost and a bit of a learning curve. If you buy pre printed (for example from an Etsy seller) you’ll probably still find it’s cheaper than DF.

Quality is great and by printing your own you only get the stuff you need.

Just getting into Dragonlock and 3d printing. Feel free to drop your knowledge on me.

What is that cost? Say for a 2x2 tile with wall? Please include costs and time (you don’t have to include an hourly rate or nothin’) Its just nice to see total costs/work included when doing any comparing of two different approaches.

Here’s some more paper terrain. This is an entire adventure in a box including miniatures, terrain, and character sheets! [Photos from actual runs of The Thunderlock Bar Crawl]

I was experimenting with a “no 4th wall” technique. I quite like it. At least 6 DMs have used this kit. It’s at Games of Berkeley, and if you feel like running it at the store, they’d be happy to let you use it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes