Old School Essentials - Castle Amber

I’m running a short campaign through Castle Amber using OSE rules. The first game is scheduled to start on Sunday March 13th at 7:30 AM MST / 9:30 AM EST. The games will be weekly and run for about 3 - 3 1/2 hours per session. I have a hard stop on Sunday April 24th (approximately 7 sessions). Let me know if you are interested.

2 Likes

Hey Nelson,

This sounds like fun. Its early, but I can make more coffee.

HOOS

1 Like

I’m okay to move the start time to 8 am MST / 10 am EST if that works better for the group. The other two in the game are overseas, so I’ll have to make sure it works for them.

I can get up that early. It makes things easier with my SO.

HOOS

1 Like

Hmmm…:ponder:ponder:ponder:

I would love to have you join the game @sean. I think it would really fit your playstyle. We’ve got @NubiS, @Longfingers, @HOOS-karl and maybe one more from G&BS. I also have this posted on the OSE Discord. My goal is to get 5 players.

I should probably give you all a bit more information about the game.

Concept:
Castle Amber was ranked the 15th greatest Dungeons & Dragons adventure of all time by Dragon Magazine in 2004. It’s a “funhouse dungeon” type of game. Which is to say that there are a lot of weird encounters throughout. It has plenty of combat, but probably leans more towards roleplay. That, of course, will depend on how the players approach the encounters.

Aim:
You will need to find some McGuffins to escape the craziness.

Tone:
The game is described as “funhouse” so there will be some strange situations and some fun, but part of the game is loosely based on Clark Ashton Smith’s writings, so there will be some pulp action and horror.

Subject Matter:
We can discuss X-card topics in session 0. I enjoy horror, so I might play that side up a bit. I’m happy to tone it down if it bothers anyone. I will have an X-card available with your tokens that can be dropped onto Roll20 if anything gets uncomfortable.

My Style:
My GM style is to describe the location and any inhabitants, then turn it over to the players to decide what you want to do. The book is just a guide, so we may deviate from the story detailed in it. I’ll riff off of the players and take the story where you all want. I’m not an expert in OSE, so I’ll probably mess up rules. I’m fine if someone corrects me, or I can look up the rules afterwards.

3 Likes

This sounds like fun, and under normal circumstances I’d be all over it. I’m sure it’ll be great!

Completely understand. Your schedule is going to be a challenge once the baby comes. I am still planning to run this for the Thursday night group, so that timeslot might work better for you.