Must Get It To The Table In 2022

What game(s) are you going to do your damndest to get to the table in 2022?

We’ll drum this up a year from now and see if we were successful.

Cross-posted from Discord.

1 Like

If I stick to games I have not run live previously…

• DCC
  • Barbarians of Lemuria
  • ICRPG
  • Warlock!
  • Mausritter
  • Operation White Box
  • Twilight 2000
  • Barbarians of the Ruined Earth
2 Likes

My group and I are ambitious. We dropped from two ongoing campaigns to one so we would have “off-weeks” to play other games. I have quite the list of games to tackle.

• Deadlands (ongoing campaign; easy kill)
  • Exalted Essence
  • WEG Star Wars
  • Pathfinder 2E
  • Cyberpunk RED
  • DCC
  • Stargate SG-1
  • Transformers/GIJoe/Power Rangers
  • Vaesen
  • Call of Cthulhu
  • Nightbane
  • Rifts (Savage Worlds or Palladium Megaversal)
  • Trinity Continuum
3 Likes

Only three I can think of that I HAVE!!! to get to the table.

WEG Star Wars (This is the easy one since my streaming group is doing it for our 2022 game.)

MARVEL the new one (what ever the specific title is) I’ve got the playtest ordered and my oldest irl group use to play a ton of faserip.

Aberrant 2ed. Loved the first edition when it came out.

4 Likes

Oh man, thank you for the reminder. I forgot I’m working on a one-shot in the Trinity Continuum as well.

1 Like

Games I want to get to the table this year - or at least prep to see if I want to get them to the table:

New Games to Me:

• Alien - Man, I love horror. Movies, books and now RPGs. I would love to get this game to the table.
  • Kult - I don’t know much about this game. I might read it and realize it’s too much. I prefer psychological horror vs. body horror. Still, it looks crazy.
  • Mothership - I’ve been prepping Dead Planet. I will run it, but I need to prep a bit more. I’m not ready yet.
  • Star Trek - my two best friends are crazy Star Trek fans. This may be my opportunity to bring these guys into RPGs. Maybe. I need to approach this carefully because I’m still not comfortable broadcasting that I play RPGs. I know - this is stupid, but it’s where I’m at.
  • Symbaroum - I bought this a while back and want to play it. Other new games just keep jumping the queue.
  • The One Ring - this was my first Kickstarter. It’s the only one I went full hog and bought physical books. I had started reading 1e, but it was set aside. It was the first time I moved away from 5e and I was lost with all the rule changes.
  • Warhammer (WFRP) - I’ve been reading The Enemy in Shadows - the first book in The Enemy Within campaign. So far, I love this setting. I’m not sure I’m ready (or have the time) to run another campaign. I might run some one shots or short campaigns to get my feet wet. I still plan to read The Enemy Within campaign. I have the first 4 books and The Enemy in Shadows Companion. Lots to read.
  • Forbidden Lands - I want to run this solo at some point in 2022. If I enjoy it as much as some other BSers, then it’ll most likely move up the list and I’ll work on running a short campaign.

Games That I Have Some Experience With:

• D&D Old School - Most likely using OSE. I have Goodman Games OAR 1 Into the Borderlands, 2 The Isle of Dread, 4 The Lost City and 5 Castle Amber. I realize these have been adjusted for 5e, but my plan is to use the expanded details in the 5e section to help with the setting, but run it as an Old School game. I plan to run one of these in 2022.
  • Call of Cthulhu - I want to run a few one shots or short campaigns, then I’m going hard - Masks of Nyarlathotep! I’m going to run that damn game. It’ll be online and open to BSers, but I will do a massive write up to make sure the people at the table are looking for a similar kind of experience.
  • Delta Green - I want to run more one shots or short campaigns. I would like to run Impossible Landscapes, but it probably won’t happen in 2022.

That’s all I can think of right now. Just a small list. :laughing:

4 Likes

My current D&D 5e campaign still has a while to run, so I don’t know if I’ll get to any of these, but I’d like to.

Shadows Over Sol - my SF/horror game of choice. It went well the first time I ran it, and it would make a nice break from about 2 years of fantasy I’ve been running.

Age of Ambition - fantasy, but in a more Renaissance setting. Same base mechanic as Shadows Over Sol, although streamlined. It’s different for a fantasy setting.

Shadows Of Esteren - this fantasy game also went well the first time I ran it. Now that I’m more familiar with it, I’d like to take another stab at it.

3 Likes

Think I gotta go with…

Cold Shadows
Twilight 2000
Feng Shui
Symbaroum

This is pending any new releases in 2022 like Spycraft 3.0 or Midnight.

2 Likes

Mmmmm. Midnight.

Spycraft 3. EEK! Will it follow suit with 2 and double in size to like 800 pages?

1 Like

One of my longtime players requested more Spycraft as well. I didn’t add it to my list which is probably already too long. Very fun game.

I am genuinely curious how Flagg and Kapera are going to revamp it. There’s already The Spy Game which is completely derived from dnd5e. I’d rather not have another d20 based espionage game unless it has some uniqueness to it.

1 Like

I agree. Fortunately, if the game designers make that mistake, the original and Spycraft 2.0 have really stood the test of time. They’re both great iterations of the game and the genre they capture.

1 Like

I’m currently running Call of Cthulhu and have Deadlands SWADE edition on the horizon, but I have a few others I would love to get to the table including:

• Twilight 2000 - my most recent acquisition and a game that really sunk its hooks into me.

• Runequest - I’ve played it a few times and really enjoyed the bronze age flavor, but I’m still a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of lore pertaining to Glorantha.

• Coriolis - Maybe it’s because I recently played through all 3 Mass Effect games, but I have an itch to run something in that vein.

• Cyberpunk Red - I’ve had this idea knocking around in my head for some time now for a Raid or Dredd inspired session where the PC’s are stuck in a mega-building/arcology during a lockdown and have to make it out.

3 Likes

Last year I made a spreadsheet with all the systems, games, and settings that are on my shelves…and it’s got over 100 rows on it! So I broke it down into four tiers (originally three, but there were too many in the top tier). I ended up with sixteen systems that I most want to try out. In 2021, I ran one-shots or two-shots of ten of those. In 2022, I want to run sessions of the remaining six. (And mmmaybe a few from tier two, if I get particularly excited about something.) Those six are (along with the game implementations of the system I’m considering, I’ll just pick one):

• Cortex Prime
  • Savage Worlds (Solomon Kane, 50 Fathoms, Devil’s Run)
  • Cypher System (Predation, We Are All Mad Here, Planebreaker)
  • Forged in the Dark (Blades in the Dark, Scum and Villainy, Band of Blades, Girl by Moonlight)
  • Dungeon Crawl Classics
  • The Year Zero Engine (Tales from the Loop, Vaesen, Coriolis)

I am hoping to run some short campaigns (3-6 sessions) in some of the systems that I’ve really enjoyed over the last four months, particularly more PbtA games (The Sprawl, Monster of the Week, Spirit of '77), more GUMSHOE games (particularly Swords of the Serpentine, but also Ashen Stars, The Gaean Reach, and Night’s Black Agents), and Heart: The City Beneath. I also want to give Fate a more serious workout with a setting like Bulldogs! or Fate of Cthulhu.

I’m currently running one long-form campaign of Genesys using the Salvage setting. I’d like to get a second longer campaign running, as well. Things I’m kicking around that will need some development are:

• A Star Trek game using Modiphius’s Shackleton Expanse campaign setting. but not necessarily using the 2d20-based Star Trek Adventures system. I’m currently exploring the possibility of a Cortex Prime implementation.
  • My 13th Age experiment in 2021 was underwhelming, but I still love the setting and many of the system’s ideas. I’ve been reading through Genesys supplements, and am considering hacking together a fantasy campaign using a hybrid of the two, with Genesys as the core.
  • The two-shot of the Ultraviolet Grasslands wasn’t enough time to let the setting breathe, and the SEACAT rules didn’t facilitate the experience. It’d be great to give the world another shot in a different system.

But the most important thing I must get to the table in 2022 is me! I want to both run more games and play more games.

3 Likes

Realistically, Galaxy in Peril and get back to my first edition AD&D game. Less so are Star Trek Adventures, John Cater of Mars and Symbaroum. Then are the third tier of likely or unlikely as it were, and they are the D&D substitutes of Dungeon World and Dungeon Crawl Classics.

I should probably put Trek and John Carter in the unlikely bucket, I have been pumping both games for years to little interest past my own.

1 Like

I run games sometimes, but not often. I prefer to play, most of the time. But I have a couple games I’m comfortable running.

There is a gaming convention coming up this month that I’ll be running games for.

*Dialect - A game about language and how it dies. I have run this one like 5 times or so now and it’s always very different. This game is part world building, part language invention and part roleplaying. Very unique. I have run this twice on Roll20 and would be happy to do it again if folks were interested.

*Tales From the Loop: The Board Game - A collaborative board game that is based on the ttrpg, it plays a lot like a GM-less rpg and comes with a bunch of premade scenarios. I’ve done a run-through session with my husband to figure out gameplay, and watched a play through on youtube just to confirm what i was doing, and I’m excited to get to play it with other people at the convention. I’ve seen the game on one of the virtual board game platforms and I might be interested in playing it online as well.

Other than those things, I’m not sure what else I’d run. But I am interested in playing in games that others run :slight_smile:

Wonder if @JimFitzpatrick has heard of Dialect. He runs one for us at Gamehole Con, I believe it’s called Sign. It’s a nonverbal game where you create your own sign language. I think.

1 Like

Sign is made by the makers of Dialect.

1 Like

Ah, well, there you go. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would be interested in trying Dialect if you run it.

1 Like