Mothership

Mothership is a sci-fi horror roleplaying game where you and your crew try to survive in the most inhospitable environment in the universe: outer space! You’ll excavate dangerous derelict spacecraft, explore strange unknown worlds, exterminate hostile alien life, and examine the horrors that encroach upon your every move…

• Concept: There’s a lot of interest in the Mothership kickstarter and some of us have never played.
    This is a good opportunity for a bunch of us to play.
  • Aim: Learn the system and try out a scenario. If you like it, maybe you pick up the new rules.
  • Tone: this is a horror game. While there will be light moments, the game is most likely going to be dark, serious and will hopefully scare the pants off of you.
  • Subject Matter: exploration horror and mystery

I’m looking for 3 to 5 players for 2 or 3 sessions, each about 3 hours long. The target is to run it after Mirko’s Thursday night game - every second Thursday at 7 PM MST / 8 PM CST.

We’ll use Discord for voice and (optional) video. We’ll use Roll20 as our VTT.

The rule book is available on DriveThru RPG for Pay What You Want (suggested $7).

6 Likes

@Gabe @Luckstrider @Hobbs @billarnold @enn.in.me @Chuck

I’m interested as well if you still have a spot (but those that previously expressed interest should probably have first dibs).

Definitely tempting, although the old 9-midnight Eastern can make for a painful next morning. I would like to play the game at some point, and this seems like a fine opp.

I can go as early as 6 PM MST / 8 PM EST. That’s about as early as I can make work. Earlier and it conflicts with work & dinner. We have two confirmed (MattH & Aerious19) and two maybe (@Gabe & @Luckstrider). We can still fit you in if you like.

First come, first serve.

Oh, I’m in. It’s part of the “Thursday night gang” now, so no problem here!

I think I’m going to make a hard push for my Conan and Against the Darkmaster offerings to be part of this gang, too. All in good time.

4 Likes

That hour makes all the difference! Count me in. When are you thinking of starting?

1 Like

It’ll be after @digitalhobbit 's Warlock!, which starts November 18. We’re trying to do longer games, so I’m guessing Warlock! will at least take us 3-5 sessions, which will bring this well into December, more likely January of 2022.

1 Like

Yeah. I’ll plan to have it done before BSer Con. If needed, we can just run a one shot.

Cool. I can stay up later in January :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should know more after Sunday. My availability is a bit dependent on if my local group will actually continue meeting or not…spotty attendance and flakiness have run rampant.

How do we join the Thursday Night gang? I always forget about this forum.

@Hobbs: The “Thursday Night Gang” isn’t so much an official thing, just something that’s been emerging. @jim recently ran a 3-session game of Swords & Wizardry that concluded last week, and I’m running a 3 (or so) session game of Warlock! starting next week, with a similar (but not identical) set of players. And folks are already thinking about what to run after that, such as @Farty’s Mothership game here. My Warlock! game is full, unfortunately, but in case anyone drops off I’m more than happy to ping you (if you have any interest in Walock!, that is).

1 Like

Of course, my man! I got a coil-bound of Warlock and Companion!

I wondered if the group table was mostly full and it sounds like it is. Ping me baby!

1 Like

@Hobbs: Will do! :slight_smile:

I have a few people interested in Mothership, but nothing concrete yet. I’ll rally for interest when we get closer to the date. It looks like December at the earliest.

1 Like

In. Played Mothership. Ran Mothership. Legit fan.

So, in lieu of a formal Session 0 - here are some notes:

• This is a horror game. It will deal with uncomfortable topics and I will try to amp up the tension. Please do not join if you are overly sensitive.
  • There will be lighter moments in the game, so we don’t have to be serious all the time. That said, if the game is in a tense moment, please avoid making jokes (this is actually aimed at me - I’m horrible at this).
  • Your character will most likely die. If you love your character concept and want to keep them safe, do not bring them to this game. I am not out to kill the PC. It’s the creatures. I swear!! It’s not me! hehehe. No seriously, it’s not me.
  • Character Creation is fast and easy. I plan to do this in the first session. I’d like the group to create a team together so we don’t end up with 5 scientists. Those who have a PC idea can go first. Those who don’t know or don’t care can fill in the gaps.
  • We won’t be touching on ship repairs, maintenance, upgrades, etc. I feel like this is better suited for a longer campaign. It also cuts out a few pages of reading.
  • I will allow Mercenaries, but you will have to pay for them - use your credits wisely.

This will be a GM light game - bordering on GMless. Hell, I may not even show up … I’m kidding. I just mean this ruleset is new to me. Feel free to call out rules if I miss things.

• We are creating the story together - don’t be afraid to call out if you think a roll should be made. I won’t take offense. Please consider “what can go wrong” instead of “what can go right” because that’s where my mind is at.
  • There are a number of cool skills on the character sheet. I can’t be bothered to review everyone’s sheet. If you have a cool skill that you want to use in the situation at hand, please call it out.
  • Bullshit meter - if you call a skill and the table feels that it’s a stretch for the situation, then you won’t get to roll it. At best, you’ll roll with disadvantage.
  • It’s your responsibility to track ammo. This game is deadly! I recommend you unload hellish fury on any creature as soon as you can. Also, running out of ammo adds tension which I think is really cool.

Let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

Hey everyone, sorry for messing you all around. In the end, I decided I’m not going to run Mothership.

3 Likes