Mothership: Dead Planet

From Patreon…

What?
I will be running the Ennie award winning Mothership rpg, and using the adventure Dead Planet. Mothership is pay what you want and can be found on DrivethruRPG

Mothership is a sci-fi horror roleplaying game where you and your crew try to survive in the most inhospitable environment in the universe: outer space! You’ll excavate dangerous derelict spacecraft, explore strange unknown worlds, exterminate hostile alien life, and examine the horrors that encroach upon your every move.

When?
Character generation/session zero will be Thursday, April 9th at 8pm cdt. Then we will play every couple weeks on Thursday night, session 1 would be on the 23 of April.

Where?
Online using Zoom, Link will be provided, please be sure to download the app. We will also be streaming to Twitch! If you are adverse to streaming live, then this is not the game for you.

5 Likes

for Zoom, is video required? My PC has no camera, but my tablet does.

Video is not required, but nice to have. :slight_smile: Thanks for asking.

Player List:
@jim
@Dirtilus
@DaogTheBlue
@JaredR
@jscifert
@ctakahashi

Waiting List:

1 Like

Ok, we will see which one works better tomorrow.

1 Like

This being my first exposure to Mothership, I just wanted to say that “whoever gets the highest while still getting a success” breaking ties in a percentile system sounds way better at the table than the “degrees of success” system that the FFG 40K RPGs did, which added in an extra step of math to any roll.

1 Like

Yeah. We also have to remember rolling doubles of anything. @Harrigan provided me with some pointers. That one, and underlined damage which is a multiplier, and it’s written in the spirit of the OSR and die rolls can get a lot of people killed. :slight_smile:

My only experience playing Mothership was a play test of Pound of Flesh that ended in a TPK in less than 2 hours. Some poor, hasty decisions were made.

1 Like

We’ll all get through this together. LOL

I mean, honestly, looking at the source material, its not like long term survival is a hallmark of Aliens, Event Horizon, or The Thing, so I get it.

2 Likes

This has almost gotten me to reinstall one of the Deadspace games, however. Almost.

Sure, but in this particular case, someone decided to throw a hand grenade on a busy space station and then we got murdered by security forces. So not so much sci-if horror tropes as general stupidity.

Sci-fi horror tropes, no. Murderhobo tropes, yes.

I had a character retire from adventuring because our wizard decided to “win” a bar fight with Cloudkill.

1 Like

Good luck, everyone!
And Sean, one final tip – stress. Written as ‘take a point of stress on a failed save,’ McCoy has commented in a couple of places that you can or should amp that up a little for one-shot play. Though it’s really dependent on how often you are calling for saves. Stress powers the lose-your-mind mechanic, which is typically a more common fate than death in MS.
So yeah. Just keep an eye on the stress levels, and don’t forget all the classes have those unique features that often make things worse. Easy to forget in the heat of the moment.

1 Like