Looking for 5e advice--buying PC features

Howdy 5e fans,
I’m running a charity game at TotalCon. It’s an over-the-top, team-versus-team, 3-5th level funnel-type adventure where players can donate money to have good things happen to themselves or their team or bad things to the other teams. We have lots of general ideas–monsters can appear, PCs can get magic items, healing, etc. What I’m looking for are some ideas that specifically harness 5e mechanics. The obvious one is a player can buy advantage on the next roll (this would be a fairly low level donation). I could imagine making a hit into a critical. Perhaps a player could buy their PC a feature (sneak attack? an extra attack? missile catching? etc.) from another class. I don’t care how over powered it might make the PCs–the dungeon is redonkulous (Tegel Manor 5e), but the things need to be easy to explain and implement and attractive to players. I’m happy to take ideas for mechanics related “curses” as well (to go against the other team. Thanks!

2 Likes

Sounds awesome! Movement can be really critical in a dungeon, so how about a way to boost your own movement and/or a way to hamper the other team’s movement? Maybe magical terrain even… like, donate this much and drop a 30 square foot patch of “evil blood vine” (or whatever) in the other team’s dungeon?

1 Like

That would have been fun. And will be next time we play. Thanks!

We ended up with an ogre whose first hit was guaranteed to be a critical getting sent around the three teams, each team paying to send it along–I think it was a $100 ogre by the time it landed. We also had an adult black dragon make an appearance for a significant donation, that one group sent to deal with another. They survived, but barely.

Just to follow up with all you awesome idea mongers–we had a hoot rolling foam dice and messing with each other, and over a three-hour game raised about $550 for Extra Life. The players enjoyed buying power ups for their PCs and we had decks of crazy get out of jail free type cards that sold like hotcakes.

2 Likes

Hey! I’m running Tegal Manor as a funnel. Who stole the idea from who!?!?

1 Like

Awesome @LaramieWall! Let me know how it goes. What system are you running it in? And what level? Is this a straight up 0-level DCC funnel?

2 Likes

Straight up DCC funnel. The plan is an open table, all four days of the con. If you level, keep punching. I’m curious to see how far folks can get.

1 Like

I’m sad now…next year perhaps we’ll see how this goes.

Well, I think it’s going to be obvious when I say that the Con was cancelled.

BUT, we did play on and off all weekend with 7 players. Had a lot of fun. Honestly, I’m glad I didn’t run it in person. Turns out, Tegal is actually REALLY sparse. There is a LOT of just dead space and empty rooms. It’s hard to keep the dread up. When there ARE encounters, SOMEONE is gonna die.

Anyway, it was fun, glad I did it.

Cool. My take was that Tegel relies heavily on bringing in the family frequently along with random encounters that have a little less personality. But there are some portions that are just not so monster filled…

Yeah, I probably UNDER did the family. I tried to tick one off every 30 minutes but they blasted through rooms in the middle.

Not saying it’s a bad setup/ module, but I do think I’m on to the next thing.