Laramie Wall's Bad Idea Theater, house rule edition

So, my players in DemonPlague (C&C) rolled, to be fair, pretty lousy stats. Something I dreamt up (lets be honest, likely whilst drinking) that I think I made up is: every x levels (I’m thinking every 2nd) pick a stat, roll a d20. If you roll over, permanent +1. It wont really let FighTor get to an 18 Str from a 16 easily, but it might help that mage turn some 7s and 9s into something with less of a die penalty.

OK BSers, tear in.

4 Likes

I’ve created something similar—but nowhere near as lenient—for my Swords & Wizardry.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever made a rule for increasing attributes based on level, but I’ve always liked adventures that have something - a fountain, puzzle, ominous looking idol, whatever - that can potentially increase an attribute, or have some other permanent effect. Something about the possibility of that sort of big (but non-monetary) reward for doing something potentially risky just feels more special to me than finding yet another hoard of coins or a +1 sword. Like the PC interacted with the world, and was affected by it in turn.

4 Likes

That is pretty similar to how the Black Hack performs as well for stat raising.

3 Likes

How about just rolling over the stat on a 3d6 (or 4d6 drop highest) and limit them to one attribute increase attempt per level.
Also, am I crazy, or did 1st Edition AD&D UA allow Cavaliers to improve stats using d% rolled for each physical stat per level, keeping track of the number, and increasing the stat if the total exceeds 100?

2 Likes

Through the very limited exposure on the boards here I don’t feel qualified to comment on your mental status*, however you do recall correctly- UA cavaliers rolled 2d20, added the up and the added that to a percentile for strength, dexterity, and constitution. The % increase was an average of 21, so each stat went up every 5 levels , dependant on what the starting % was. Much prefer the diminishing returns noted above- esp the 3d6 method.

• you ARE posting here & listen to the podcast so it’s likely that like the rest of us you may have failed a sanity check or two along the way. ;p

Rory

3 Likes

I don’t know, but HackMaster does this. Every stat for every character has a %at character generation. Then every level you get a d20, d12, d10, d8, d6, and 4, and you can assign one to each stat, also the ability to spend build points to add as well.

1 Like

Jay - you talking about this?

Not seeing it in there, what Rory says sounds familiar. I never played a cavalier, and only DM’d one once in a one-shot, and they never went up a level.

Looks like it’s on page 15, second column, starting at about the middle. I’ve never actually used anything from UA in a game, but I have the PDF for some reason.

1 Like

It’s on the right hand side of the 2nd page of the cavalier entry- 2nd or 3rd paragraph on the right-most column.
(Weird visual / physical memory- I can flip to within a page or two of any rule in the AD&D phb , dmg UA or mm - spent too many hours of my youth pouring over those books. One of the reasons I don’t like PDFs as much.)
🥸

1 Like

… and Jim beat me to it…

I’m the same way with certain rule books. Though it helps when the book gets worn in enough to just fall open to a table that I’m always looking for.

1 Like

Seems good Laramie. Black Hack, Solar Blades, and others have a similar mechanic. In those games it occurs at everly level with some variance (all stas, two stats, etc.)

1 Like

One of the reasons I like the Black Hack-based games so much is the leveling mechanics, where there’s a chance for every stat to increase, and in some games certain attributes can even increase twice. I’m generally not a big fan of class and level systems but I can tell you from experience players love leveling in TBH specifically because of this attribute rolling.

In my current Rad-Hack game, which in our case is one part Gamma World and one part Fury Road, the PCs hit level 3 last weekend. The mutant fungus PC has gone from an INT of 2 at level 1, to 4 at level 3. He went from just being able to say his name in different ways to mean slightly different things, to now learning his friends’ names and even stringing together short sentences. He also tamed a giant radioactive snail that now travels with the party, but that’s a story for another day.

Bottom line, in my experience, players really like the chance to increase stats when they level. Do it, @LaramieWall!

1 Like

1st Ed AD&D DMG actually has some interesting options for rolling up a PC as well. I’ve rarely used anything other than 3d6 down the line or 4d6 (take best 3 and then assign to stats as you wish).

1 Like