Gaming via Internet

What with all the novel corona virus talk, seems like a good time to dust off the “gaming online” talk. Revisit what you said before, but also add new thoughts around it.

2 Likes

What are you talking about?!?!

Gamers are WELL KNOW for their excellent hygiene. If they weren’t, there would be stories about people getting sick just from going to conventions.

Wait… DAMN IT!

2 Likes

+1, definitely a good topic to revisit. I experienced this first-hand this week: My regular group was supposed to meet on Monday, but at the last minute, two of the players raised (completely reasonable, of course) concerns - some of them are older, others are in close contact with elderly parents, etc. We decided to postpone the seession and figure out a way to play online instead.

We’re close to the conclusion of our campaign, so probably won’t invest massively in setting up a new campaign in Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, or similar. But the DM still needs to do some prep work to make sure he can run a good session online. (We often have one player dialing in remotely, rarely 2, but never 6.)

Personally, I’d already been planning to use more online gaming to augment my in-person sessions (theoretically biweekly, but we often have gaps because folks have tricky schedules). So I’m taking this opportunity to step up my efforts and will probably run some DCC online soon.

FWIW, the Panda’s Talking Games podcast also recently covered this topic after my suggestion. :slight_smile: Worth listening to in general.

1 Like

Huh. That’s interesting and a topic in and of itself. I’d be interested in hearing how that works to have one+ players remote, and the majority in the room.

2 Likes

I am on Fantasy Grounds weekly. I have been playing with the same people for several years now. I like it but it doesn’t compare to my face to face games. It’s easier to bull shirt and drink around a table.

1 Like

My games are only face-to-face, and I feel obligated to cancel until this pandemic resolves. I’ve long been interested in gaming online, but I know it’s not a consideration for most of my group. It looks like we won’t be gaming for awhile, but I’ll keep thinking and writing about it. I might finally try out painting minis, too.

2 Likes

@Chrisshorb:
Huh. That’s interesting and a topic in and of itself. I’d be interested in hearing how that works to have one+ players remote, and the majority in the room.

We just use a tablet or laptop with Google Hangouts or Skype and point the camera at the battlemap. They ask one of the other players to move their mini for them. Sometimes they roll dice themselves off-screen (honor system), sometimes they ask one of the players at the table to roll for them.

It’s not perfect, but works pretty well overall. We can see the remote player on the device, almost as if they were sitting physically at the table. Their vision is a bit more constrained, unfortunately, depending on whether we focus on the battlemap or the room.

FWIW, this is with D&D (5e), and we generally do use a battlemap and minis as opposed to playing theater-of-the-mind. I would imagine that a game without a battlemap (e.g. theater-of-the-mind, story games, etc.) would have even less friction.

2 Likes

I can take some pics of my set up. We have one dude that moved and now lives in another time zone. I have a TV mounted on the wall behind his chair, and a larger one above. I cast Fantasy Grounds to the large TV and Jimmy logs in. I roll my dice on FG so Jimmy can see, he rolls on there so the group can see his rolls, everyone else just rolls on the table.

3 Likes

I refuse to cancel…which doesn’t mean others in the party won’t. Tomorrow night is game night, so we’ll see how that goes.

1 Like

yeah. We’re not cancelling out mini-con next weekend. Stay tuned.

1 Like

I love on line RPG’s, This lets me play with my best friends, who happen to live in Belgium and Chicago. There are challenges to them and you don’t roll dice yourself, but their great!

On top of that digital maps. Love ‘em.

With the virus possibly threatening future gaming con’s. I think we should make a Gaming and BS Forums on line Gaming Con! Doesn’t’ just roll off the tongue? Maybe not, but I like the idea. Anyone else?

3 Likes

I’d be down for BS-a-Con!

I never thought I’d be looking at online gaming with any level of seriousness (outside of the daily AS&SH PbP in which I participate), but my group and I are now looking into it—and realizing that, through this means, we can get another player or two currently residing in other parts of the country.

2 Likes

It would be cool to do. GaryCon is doing things virtually. And events and badges are free. I’d encourage BS’ers check it out:
https://tabletop.events/conventions/gary-con-xii-virtual-tabletop-gaming

Can we do a BS-a-Con? Please?

1 Like

Just getting my face to face group set up to play D&D and Star Trek Adventures via Discord for the near future. Interested to see how well this works out.

1 Like

Jared, I’m curious as I explore what I might do. Why did you choose Discord? It’s primarily text and voice chat, right? Why that rather than, say, Skype or Zoom? You thinking you just talk and share photos/materials as needed?

One of my players doesn’t have the best access via computer, but they can use the app on their smartphone, so it was a matter of keeping them in the loop as well. Discord does have several dice roller plugins that are kind of neat, however.

1 Like

Thanks for answering so quickly. I myself (and I’ll be the GM) am partial to playing from an app on an iPad. I’m not keen on sitting at a desktop, though I have a very nice one handy.

1 Like

I had a player via laptop that lived in Texas for my Pathfinder game a few years ago.
He rolled his dice. We had the camera (for him) aimed at the table in general, not over the map and minis. It worked well. The laptop had a good mic and speaker which helped a lot.

I logged into Roll20 again to check it out. I got an account years ago but only logged in a couple of times. I’ll be checking out the tutorials in the next few days to see what I can do with it.