Gaming History from 'Team Spirit"

DM Cojo emailed B&S in the last podcast with the following quiz.
Our hosts suggested we chime in and send them our answers.
So like that friend that walks into your house with his shoes on and goes straight to the fridge to grab your good beer without asking, then plops on the couch and starts flipping channels on your TV - I thought I’d start a Topic for it here on the boards.

With my luck someone else has done this already and I missed it…
:smiley:

• The first RPG I played was:
    Dungeons & Dragons basic with the chits containing Keep on the borderlands.

• The RPG that I have played the most in my life is:
    By a narrow margin I would say AD&D 1st edition (followed closely by D&D 3e)

• The RPG that I currently play the most is:
    Sadly Dungeons & Dragons 5e

• The RPG that I have never played, but would like to play is:
    Alternity (I own almost the complete set of this - but never got to run it).

• The RPG that I used to play a lot, and wish I could play again is:
    D&D 3rd edition, AD&D

• The RPG release that I am most eagerly anticipating is:
    I was going to say “nothing” - but I’m eagerly awaiting Goodman Games Temple of Elemental Evil. I have been collecting the Goodman Games conversions of the Classics - not because I want to run them in 5e - but because I LOVED those D&D and AD&D modules and like having a premium edition.

• The RPG that I never played as a kid, but I play now is:
    Played Delta Green once last year - which I suppose is Call of Cthulhu??

So - I think that should help everyone see where most of my interests lie.

All that said I played a reasonable amount of MERP, Rolemaster, Champions / Hero System, and of course B/X, AD&D 2nd edition, D&D 4e, Pathfinder.

I also made a horrible spy when we played Top Secret, died in the back of our transport 5 minutes into our first and last Twilight 2000 game, and spend and awesome 4 hours stating up Aftermath characters we never played.
Rory

2 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread! Alternity is the One True Way, you should definitely join the cult. We are a small but fanatical sext worshipping forgotten lore, you’ll love it I’m sure.

AD&D

Alternity. We should definitely get a game of that going! It has significant issues, which are addressed well by house rules such as those at https://www.alternityrpg.net

Alternity, but the recent kickstarted 2017 version, since I’m playing with new gamers who get visibly disinterested in the math of the old point but system

I just posted five on another thread. I’ll add a different one here: Savage Rifts, since Rifts has a special place in my heart, but I’m over that mega damage.

I guess it must be Rifts! But I’ll say Nightbane, since there’s no Mega Damage and there’s rules for adventuring inside dreams

The Wagadu Chronicles, since it has the ambition to try and integrate an MMORPG with a table top setting, and it adds some much needed diversity to D&D. I am also excited to see how MCG converts Ptolus to the Cypher system.

Cypher system, my wife runs in that exclusively (although she did mention an idea for Alternity after watching Homeland, so the Alternity hypnosis machine may be working!)

3 Likes

Sure, I’ll play:

AD&D - I’d owned the basic set, but never played until I went to college, then it was AD&D

Rolemaster - I haven’t played it in about 20 years, but it’s the RPG I played the most over the years
    rolemaster

Shadows Over Sol - Since I was able to start GMing again a few years ago. I’ve run this and Shadows of Esteren, but would give the nod to Shadows Over Sol

A|State - I mentioned it in the other thread, but I’ve owned this game for years. The setting really intrigues me and I would love to run a group there.

CORPS - This is a universal system by BTRC. It’s the most satisfying universal system that I’ve run, and I miss doing so. These days I prefer to use systems tailored to the setting, so my only opportunity to run CORPS is for settings where I hate the mechanics, or totally homebrew settings.
    BTR7101

Nothing, really. I don’t usually follow RPG upcoming releases. If I need to pick one, I’d say the final release of Acheron, an RPG I joined the Kickstarter for. Noirish 1930s with magic and monsters.

Hell, that’s most of them. As a kid, I was in college and it was AD&D, Rolemaster, Ysgarth, Call of Cthulhu, Gamma World, etc. I don’t play any of those any longer, so any game I play now is a game I never played as a kid. I’m not sure I’m understanding the question properly.

2 Likes

Since I didn’t start playing RPGs until 2006-7 or so, my list may be a little odd.

• My first RPG was:
    D&D 3.5 Oriental Adventures
    5%20OA

Shadowrun 5E

Star Wars Age of Rebellion. Thanks @sean!!
    AoR

Cthulhu Dark Ages - this looks like the best way to go mad in the face of utter futility.

Mechwarrior
    MW3

Cyberpunk Red - I’m a big fan of the Cyberpunk literary genre.

Doesn’t really apply to me since I didn’t start playing RPGs until I was in my 20’s.

3 Likes

Oh Isaiah,

I have loved the idea od Alternity - but at the time I was buying it none of my players were interested - then 3.0 hit, then Pathfinder…

You sir - with your evil link to Forbidden Lore - have awakened something horrible in me.

The real problem is that I want to run fantasy - and while I like the psionics and FX I want MORE… and now I see 10 pages of Fantasy conversions on your linked site…

You are a bad man…

Rory

2 Likes

… a bad bad man…

2 Likes

I guess my mom was right about the evil influences of RPGs. Oh well.

Your dark robes, candles, and black panel “kidnapping” van have been ordered and will arrive after the next dimensional crossing. That’s probably more of a Dark Matter thing, though.

3 Likes

Dark Matter - just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there…

:smiling_imp:

2 Likes
    AD&D 2E

D&D if you count all editions together. Other wise probably Mutants and Masterminds 2ed.

Oddly it’s Monster of the week. I’m in a weekly game and I run a fortnightly game.
    (It’s odd because I’m not that big a fan of it. :smiley: )

RuneQuest (Damn it!) I read my uncles old RQ box set ages before I ever got to play an actual RPG. I can never find anyone in the area that runs it.(I know I should look online) That box set was one of the first things i ever bought off ebay and I did run a one shot for my AD&D 2E group. They where all like “that was neat…lets just play d&d” :frowning:

Aberrant or FASERIP Marvel

Aberrant 2e (I’ve got the kickstarter PDF but it isn’t actually released yet)

The RPG that I never played as a kid, but I play now is:
I wasn’t able to play until I was 15 or 16 so if you mean younger kid than that, I’d say D&D.
If we count 15-20 as kid then probably Call of Cthulhu I was aware of it early in my gaming career and was reading Lovecraft but I was probably in my mid 20’s before I ever played it. I am currently in a campaign with my 20+ year group.

3 Likes

The “Magenta Box” Basic Set, but not particularly well or accurately.

If you count multiple editions as the same game, Dungeons & Dragons

This year it has been a toss up between D&D 5e and Star Trek Adventures

If we’re looking at long term but not “new shiny,” I would say Werewolf the Apocalypse. I missed out on World of Darkness when it came out, and I still don’t think Vampire is a good fit for me. I’ve played Werewolf The Forsaken, but I’m still kind of curious about the “original” game.

I’m going to say this with a caveat: I loved Mechwarrior when we played it, but if I played it again, I would want to somehow play it with the same sensibilities I had at the time, because I’m not sure I would enjoy the rules of 1st edition these days. I may, someday, give Mechwarrior: Destiny a spin.

This is hard . . . I’m going to cop out a bit and say it’s a tie between Urban Shadows 2nd Edition and Haunted West

I don’t play it regularly, but I usually end up playing Call of Cthulhu at conventions, and until a few years ago, I had never played it, despite ads for the game being ALL OVER Dragon Magazine when I first got into the hobby.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Rweston for putting this up. I had the same thought while listening to the episode.

So:

The first RPG I played was: AD&D

The RPG that I have played the most in my life is: Likely AD&D, only because of how often I played in high school. GURPS would be #2.

The RPG that I currently play the most is: …a very tough question. I’m all over the place these days when it comes to systems. Generally speaking, probably Fate, but my sights are squarely set at the moment on games based on The Black Hack, and the YZE games from Free League (Alien, Vaesen, Tales, etc.)

The RPG that I have never played, but would like to play is: Morg Borg. Honorable mentions to Electric Bastionland and Index Card RPG.

The RPG that I used to play a lot, and wish I could play again is: Underground, though it’s a stretch to say I played “a lot.” A few magical sessions. Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles and Feng Shui fit this bill too, though in truth I’m not keen to play any of the older systems without some streamlining.

The RPG release that I am most eagerly anticipating is: Several. Twilight 2000, Root the RPG, Beam Saber, Dancing with Bullets Under a Neon Sun.

The RPG that I never played as a kid, but I play now is: Call of Cthulhu.

2 Likes

The first RPG I played was:
I was introduced to Basic Dungeons & Dragons by my buddy Andrew when I was 8 but he lost interest after a few games while I was hooked. I found the older Basic and Expert D&D boxed sets at my school library along with some adventure modules. This was during the Satanic Panic and when the librarian saw I kept checking out all the D&D material, she offered to give it all to me. I happily accepted and my RPG collection began to grow from there.

The RPG that I have played the most in my life is:
I played Dungeons & Dragons for years while dabbling in other games (Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Robotech). Then I took a break in the 90s when I got into the World of Darkness game lines. Shortly before 3E came out a friend got me back into D&D and I have been playing that ever since while also playing other games.

DnD%2001

The RPG that I currently play the most is:
Pathfinder 2E is the game I am playing the most right now. We finished D&D 5E: Tomb of Annihilation and took a short break from 5E to try some 13th Age and to give Pathfinder 2E a try. 13th Age is a good game but it didn’t really click with everyone. For those of us who like more crunch in our games, Pathfinder 2e has hit a sweet spot.

The RPG that I have never played, but would like to play is:
Man, I would love to play in a Night’s Black Agents: Dracula Dossier campaign. Finding a group of players willing to dive into the Dracula Unredacted book is a daunting task.

The RPG that I used to play a lot, and wish I could play again is:
I love Vampire the Masquerade with a passion but my current group is filled with more D&D/fantasy RPG-oriented players. I would love to run a VtM 20th Anniversary Edition chronicle.

Vampire%20the%20Masquerade

The RPG release that I am most eagerly anticipating is:
Definitely Dune: Adventures in the Imperium. I’m rereading the first book and I plan to tackle the rest of Frank Herbert’s epic series before the game comes out.

I did not understand Call of Cthulhu when I was younger but a buddy convinced me to try it in college. I enjoyed it but then the Vampire the Masquerade boom happened and that was the dark storytelling game of choice where I lived. I’ve since circled back around and I enjoy exploring cosmic horror from time to time.

4 Likes

Props to that librarian!

2 Likes
    Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye). Everybody used to start with this system in Germany back then.

At this point, probably D&D 5e. I took a 15 year break from RPGs, and since getting back into the hobby in 2014, my home group has played 5e pretty consistently.

Ditto: D&D 5e. Not because it’s my favorite (it’s ok), but because it’s what my home group enjoys.

Deadlands. I enjoy the Weird West vibe and have always been curious about the Savage Worlds system. (But I have many other possible answers here; see the recent top 5 games for 2021 forum thread.)

I’m tied between WFRP (1e was my go-to fantasy RPG back then) and KULT (which I ran a lot in the 90s).

Probably Torchbearer 2e - mostly because it sounds very different from anything else I’ve played.

4 Likes

The first RPG I played was:
D&D Basic Red Box.

The RPG that I have played the most in my life is:
Star Wars WEG D6 1st then 2nd Ed.
images%20(5)

The RPG that I currently play the most is:
Savage Worlds Adventure Edition

The RPG that I have never played, but would like to play is:
Alternity. Like @Rweston I have a ton of books but never found a group.
images%20(7)

The RPG that I used to play a lot, and wish I could play again is:
Dark Conspiracy
images%20(8)

The RPG release that I am most eagerly anticipating is:
Stargate

Twilight 2000

2 Likes

Suppose I’ll throw in…

The first RPG I played was: AD&D 1e/2e smash up

The RPG that I have played the most in my life is: Probably HackMaster 4e for 15 years

The RPG that I currently play the most is: I run twice a month each Castles and Crusades and HackMaster 5e

The RPG that I have never played, but would like to play is: WHFRP

The RPG that I used to play a lot, and wish I could play again is: Weekly things. I miss childhood.

The RPG release that I am most eagerly anticipating is: Dark Trails

The RPG that I never played as a kid, but I play now is: … lots

2 Likes

First RPG: Middle-Earth Role Playing, First Edition
09027C07-22C6-4C00-A631-4DC51B747A74
RPG I played most: Probably Champions 4th Ed.

Currently play the most: Conan 2d20
SX318
Never played but would like to: Where do I start?
RPG I played a lot and want to play again: All of them.
RPG I am most eagerly anticipating: I’m probably buying The One Ring 2e straightaway. I’ll definitely check out Terminator.
Intro-2-300x281
RPG that I never played as a kid, but play now: Any form of D&D. No, really, I’m not kidding at all (unless you consider MERP a form of D&D, and you have every right to do that).

4 Likes

Hackmaster 5e? What is C&C like?

Made a stack of characters for this back in the day … Can’t recall playing it though???

What is Hackmaster 5e like?

HackMaster 5e. At the root, it’s still fantasy, swords and sorcery, D&Desque. Big divergences in my eyes.

1. Active defense. You can choose to scamper back, fighting withdrawl, etc, and you always get to roll for defense, high roller wins.
  2. Spell point system cooked in, and you can spend extra for range, duration, etc.
  3. Wounds are individual, and natural healing is based on severity. A wound of X HP takes X days to get one level lower. E.g., a 5 HP wound, in 5 days, becomes a 4 HP wound. Then in 4 days, a 3 HP wound. It really puts the focus on NOT getting hit.
    There are other small things (silver standard vs gold, percentile skill system, so on) but I think those are the big ones.

C&C? Think D&D 3 without skills or feats.

1. The challenge system (SIEGE engine) is you get to pick 2 stats (three for humans) and on those your target number is 12, 18 on secondaries, plus whatever mod the Castle Keeper adds. So, say there’s a sneak check with a CL (challenge level) 3, the thief probably has Dex prime and would need a 15, where as the cleric may not, and they would need a 21.
  2. Standard D&D with ascending AC and all additive math for combat (no Thac0).
  3. Still has asymmetric leveling, so it’s not everyone levels at X,000 XP.
2 Likes