Favorite Setting (not D&D)

I have been interested in getting into a setting. Really doing a deep dive. I have never been hard corp into a TTRPG setting. I dont care about mechanics and am more interested in the world, lore, etc. So what are your favorite settings? Maybe your top 3 to recommend? Also looking for a non-D&D setting recommendations.

1 Like

Mechwarrior
Malazan
Expanse

2 Likes

Malazan Empire - have they brought anything out for a ttrpg for this @Hobbs?

Hard for me to recommend anything non-fantasy related as that’s my wheelhouse (or my jam, or whatever it is the kids say these days…)
:slight_smile:
Rory

Can totally be a fantasy setting! Just looking for something non-wotc/paizo. I could have been more clear in post when I said Non-d&d I meant the big guys

I don’t know. B U T, if I’m being honest, this series of books has been a huge inspiration to a lot of my setting writing for Emergent Empires.

1 Like

Warhammer Fantasy
The Black Company books (there is a d20 book from Green Ronin ages ago, but the novels are solid enough you don’t need that book)
Avalon (had to list it, Author requirements and all that :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

Hobbs have the first couple books but haven’t been able to get into them. I know you and others have spoke highly of them and I should revisit them again.

1 Like

It is a difficult bunch of stories to keep a hold on. Without question. I feel like the payoff is worth the effort in the end, though.

1 Like

Bounced off of Black Company but another series I am encouraged to read often. Another one I might need to attack again and see if I can get a foothold.

I own Avalon - author is a bit too beardy for my taste

4 Likes

I love the Black Company books. Thanks for the reminder…time for a re-read.

One setting has proven the most popular with the groups I’ve run, and that’s the setting from the Darkurthe Legends RPG from the '90s. Small-press, never widely circulated, but it had just the right mix of details and “white space” for me to fill in as GM. Although it has variations on the standard races, it has a few new ones. Interesting cultures and setting. It has a calendar that really hooked me, and really impacts the campaign, which is nice. (The world is in a figure-8 orbit between the Harvest Sun (light) and the Nether Sun (dark), with huge impacts on the climate and seasons.

The biggest city in the setting is Paradise City, but the book only gives general info, so I’ve subbed in Avalon as Paradise City.

1 Like

Damn, lost a fan eh? Oh well, can’t win everyone over :slight_smile:

Have you read the Egil and Nix books? Much like a re-take on the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser tales.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00PNKDTXC

3 Likes

Can’t emphasize enough how much I agree on reading the Malayan books - don’t miss out on the esslemont books set in Malazan as well.
Also Glenn Cook’s Black Company series is my favourite series ever!

Egil and Nix are also fantastic-modern day Fahrenheit and Mouser.

1 Like

Emergent Empires you say??

Malazan is… I don’t know how to put it… some of the greatest books I ever have read. In a short list of best epic fantasy. Tolkien. The first three books of A Song of Ice and Fire. Every Malazan book by Erikson. Man! Esslemont is good, too, but he is a slightly lesser light next to Erikson, in my opinion.

2 Likes

And I’d be remiss if I didn’t now, belatedly, add Gene Wolfe’s Book of the New Sun to my short list of epic fantasy (though it’s usually classified as science fiction, for whatever distinction one sees in that).

(And I’ll avoid discoursing on my thoughts concerning epic fantasy before Tolkien.)

So, to the original question: Monte Cook cites Wolfe’s New Sun as a major source of inspiration for his Numenera setting.

3 Likes

My favorite published setting, hands down is Columbia Games Harn setting. It is super detailed and very grimdark. It is also written as system agnostic. Although, later they would create a skill based rules set that is equally gritty.

The book(s) that I would be most interested in diving into making a setting is R Scott Bakker’s Prince of Nothing Series. I devoured the books over a few days span as they came out. They ingrain a non-western feel to them and I love the voice of Achamian, the main character/narrator.

Happy Gaming - Hoos

3 Likes

Prince of Nothing is on my TBR list. Bakker’s name definitely is in the ascendancy for notable epic fantasies.

1 Like

I have never heard of the Malazan books. I have some Audible credits to burn I might check these out. I have been listening to “The Storm light chronicles” by Brandon Sanderson its been good.

1 Like

I loved the Egil and Nix books!

2 Likes

Also reading SLA. Really dig it but from a setting standpoint its too epic for me to run in that world/IP.

1 Like