Easiest RPG Genre to Run and Prep?

This might be an odd question but I feel like the BS community is the right one to ask. Let me offer some background. I’m trying to finish up a campaign where players are emerging gods in a future cyberpunk world. There are two factions (one a powerful god and the other the military) vying for control of the city. The players have slowly discovered what everyone wants and why. Why mention this? This campaign has many moving parts, complex social interactions, and a lot of gray morality confronting the players. It was a ton of work to weave this all together.

For the next campaign, I want to find something simpler to run and was contemplating what genre of game would offer that.

So here is the question to the BS community. What is your opinion on what is the “easiest” genre to run and prep?

I’m leaning towards Fantasy for the following reasons (keep in mind there are no absolutes and I’m only making some general thoughts):

• There can be less moral gray areas. Evil creatures are evil, crazy wizards are crazy, dungeons are for exploring, etc.
  • Monsters are obvious foes that provide simple targets for characters.
  • Tons of resources… maps, minis, VTT assets, monsters designs, etc.

I have other thoughts but wanted to just get the ball rolling. So what does everyone think and why?

1 Like

Something close to a modern era RPG. Action/Adventure genres like pirates, cowboys, or spies can still have clear-cut villains. Maps are available because you can just use real-world maps for place locations. If you ever need to homebrew something that already exists, you can generally take a really good guess at how it would work within your rule system without breaking stuff because of how it works in the real world.

The great thing about these genres is that you can make them as complex or as simple as you need. The villain could be Long John Babykiller, or it could be Sir Moral Greyson, depending on where you want your players to go and how deep you want the social interaction aspect to be.

2 Likes

I’d have to agree with fantasy because there are so many universal tropes. For the longest time, not having elves or dwarves in a fantasy setting needed to be explained. You could alter them, sure, but not too much. We all seem to have a shared headspace with fantasy.

Plus, it feels like a lot of campaigns have started with “It’s fantasy, but with…” instead of “it’s a sci-fi game of…” with any number of possible combinations to choose from. Compare Star Wars and Star Trek as someone who’s avoided the genre and you’ll see two very distinct presentations that both involve space travel. Then have someone not into fantasy compare Lord of the Rings with Game of Thrones. Are they really that different to a newcomer?

I wasn’t sure, until resurrections, [sexy] hags, and swords on fire!