Dungeon Denizens for 5e Upcoming in 2021

https://goodman-games.com/blog/2020/11/06/announcing-dungeon-denizens-500-monsters-for-5e/

I’m curious to see what these look like. While Goodman does a great job with Dungeon Crawl Classics and full-on weirdness, most of the 5e I’ve seen from them is less exciting. Obviously, it’s selling for them, so I’m hoping these just go full-on DCC weird.

4 Likes

If ever you’re looking for the part of the " Bride of Cyclops Con - What’s New With Goodman Games" video that they talk about this product, it start at 42:45 to 48:35 minutes.

Joseph Goodman also mentions he’s going to be doing a DCC version too.

@JaredR I think this is a good idea.

• First, for D&D 5E, it’s an easy way to add gonzo and weird monsters that can be found in Appendix N. I like that style. It doesn’t take itself too seriously and it’s really good to surprise the mainstream fantasy fan boys & girls. Goblins and orcs are cool… but when you get to describe giant hairless cats fighting with projectile vomit… priceless! :laughing:

• On the other side, DCC doesn’t have a monster manual yet. The reason being is, as explained, Joseph wanted to encourage DMs/Judges to create their own monsters. Which is great, but sometimes, it’s just not convenient. Either for new judges or on the fly. Or simply for inspiration. I’m glad Joseph reviewed his point of view on his subject.

As you can probably guess, I’m going to need the two books! And I’m really looking forward to them.

Of course, for 5E, there’s going to be the WOTC puritans who won’t touch anything non WOTC. Also, there’s already a ton of 5E third-party Monster Manuals on the market so it’s not necessarily an easy sell. But it will have it’s own style so you never know.

On the other hand, for the DCC Judges, I’m sure it’s going to be an easy sell.

Last thing… check out that cover! :astonished: Beautiful! And the alternate one will be from Erol Otus! :+1:

3 Likes