Confessions of a Heretic

I write in books.
I use a pencil and a highlighter.
I underline.
I highlight.
I write in the margins.
I scribble inside the cover.
Printed pdf modules or hardcover campaign sourcebooks are all suitable targets.
Even core rulebooks aren’t safe. I try use sticky notes. They are not always nearby, though, and a lack of sticky notes won’t stop me.
I have to jot a note when an idea comes.
I am compelled to underline when the thought is worthy.
I must engage to be able to appreciate and absorb what is being read.
E-reading bewilders me.
I have to interact with the pages.
I will write on them…all of them.
And worst of all, I feel no shame.

5 Likes

HERETIC! BURN THE WITCH! SAVE THE BOOKS! :wink:

But in all seriousness, do what works for you.

1 Like

Me too, I’ve done and will continue to do those same things. It’s not about respect or disrespect. Most often I use sticky notes but I never hesitate to use the tools I bought for the purpose I bought them for. My game books are tools for my gaming. I may buy a special collector book but then I put it on a shelf, because that’s what I bought it for. I once bought a hammer made from the titanum left over from the Ruger gun barrels. It is awesomely cool. They only made a limited amount. Some might call it a collector piece and it cost 4 or 5 time the amount I could have bought an Eastwing for. But I uses the crap out of that hammer it’s a great tool.

2 Likes

“I once bought a hammer made from the titanum left over from the Ruger gun barrels.”

I am so very jealous…that sounds like the coolest hammer since Mjolnir!

1 Like

It’s sweet, it’s half the weight of most rough in hammers and still has all the striking force of a normal hammer. It’s a real elbow and shoulder saver!

2 Likes

I’ve done most of those same things! I figure books are resources and my writing in them makes them better resources for me during the game!

1 Like

You’re not alone. It’s the reason I don’t love library books. I always enjoy finding marginalia and reading someone else’s line of thought.

1 Like

I find it funny when people freak out about writing in/ on books, but want things autographed.

The reason I usually don’t write in many of my books is because my editorials tend to change, then I’m rewriting over things. But I have no issue with it. Go you.

1 Like

Why save them in pristine condition? Who for? If people love your old books despite the marks — those are people I want to hang with. :slight_smile: Pristine copies are for archivists and rich collectors. Not gamers.

3 Likes

I love getting an older book with someone else’s notes in the margins! It’s so much fun to see how they think!

2 Likes

I’m going to sneak in your house and write in all your books.

Just, you know, to help you out.

2 Likes

Ha! Oh man, that’s funny! :rofl:

Your margin comments would probably be better than mine. I could really use that help!

goes through the white pages, looking for Trevors…

1 Like

I just can’t…
how can…
:nauseated_face:

I think I’m going to need to go lie down for a while.

:frowning:

RW

5 Likes

Im not apposed to this practice, but if i’m honest I only have a few books with my initials in them, and one with Ed Greenwoods MAJESTIC signature.

1 Like

What are you talking about? The most highly prized grimoire and treatises have notes in the margins!

1 Like

Written in a few, an * next to an important sentence, but mostly i keep then clear.

What I always do is cover them in clear adhesive contact to protect them.

Had a few books get trashed thanks to players spilling milkshakes, beer or soda on them, and they don’t read too well after that.

2 Likes

You are not a Heretic, you are just a member of the faithful who finds their personalized way forward. You don’t follow the doctrine handed down to you by the officially enlightened.

In other words you are a Protestant Gamer, instead of an Orthodox or Catholic Gamer. :wink:

2 Likes

I could never bring my self to do that. I get a twinge of anxiety when I put a sticky note on a page, fearful that it will leave some adhesive behind, or damage the page.
I also love finding a book with other people’s notes in it. My favourite copy of the 1e PHB is one that some kid wrote in, made word balloons on the art, and kept track of hit points on the fly leafs.
These are the existential dilemmas I live with.

2 Likes

I personally use post it notes and cheap spiral notebooks. I may have been know to print off a book or two pages if I have to really keep track off something. I would have to have a duplicate book to write in something or I would feel bad.
The only book I’ve ever wrote in were college books that I hated. I’ve collected comics forever so I think that’s why I abhor it some much. But be you man.