Conan 2d20: Servants of the Charnel God

Scenario Name: Servants of the Charnel God

System: Robert E. Howard’s Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of (aka Conan 2d20)

Event Date and Time: This event has been rescheduled! Please look below!

Player Min/Max: 2/4

Equipment Requirements: Reliable Web connection and Discord, earphones and mic

Game Requirements: A personally-generated character submitted to me no later than the sign up deadline. I am available for questions. Contact me via one of the methods below. A form-fillable character sheet is available on Discord. Otherwise, the online generator is easy and highly recommended. If you use the online character generator, however, please note that there are a few drop-down menus (otherwise you’re automatically going to have a Boar Spear for one of your weapons). Any material from any of the game supplements is acceptable, though sticking to the Core Book (especially for beginners) is recommended. Using some—if not all—of the random character generation tables is encouraged but not required.

Privacy: In case anyone wonders, I don’t do any streaming.

More Information: Conan 2d20 can be as crunchy and as complex as we want it to be, though the core mechanic is quite accessible. No experience or books are necessary. The scenarios I design are based on actual weird fiction published in the early twentieth century. Ideally, the adventures are to be completed within one game session. Though games will be offered on an “episode” or short story basis, characters can earn experience points and return for later adventures. For Foundry VTT, I am using the Simple Worldbuilding System. It contains no automation for 2d20. Also, because I’m fairly new to online gaming in general, we can run into some hiccups. Please be gracious.

3 Likes

I wanted to join up but I realized I wouldn’t be able to join until 7:30 EST. I even messed around with the character generator. I hope you run another one!

1 Like

Thanks, Isaiah! If I get anyone else, I can negotiate for a 7:30 start time, I’m sure.

Otherwise, why don’t you and I see if we can work together to find a good time for us both, then harangue someone else into it?

Ha ha! I know people have plenty of time to think this over, but it looks like a nonstarter so far! :wink:

1 Like

Sounds good. Mondays and Wednesdays are typically no-go for me. Thursday’s are definitely easiest (I work from home that day).

1 Like

!Second Attempt: The Earlier Posting Now Is Invalid/Canceled!

Scenario Name: Servants of the Charnel God

System: Robert E. Howard’s Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of (aka Conan 2d20)

Event Date and Time: Thursday, January 21. 7:30-11:30 CST (GMT-6)

Player Min/Max: 2/4

Equipment Requirements: Reliable Web connection and Discord, earphones and mic

Game Requirements: A personally-generated character submitted to me no later than the sign up deadline. I am available for questions. Contact me via one of the methods below. A form-fillable character sheet is available if you join me in my Discord channel (given upon request). Otherwise, the online generator is easy and highly recommended. If you use the online character generator, however, please note that there are a few drop-down menus (otherwise you’re automatically going to have a Boar Spear for one of your weapons). Any material from any of the game supplements is acceptable, though sticking to the Core Book (especially for beginners) is recommended. Using some—if not all—of the random character generation tables is encouraged but not required.

Privacy: In case anyone wonders, I don’t do any streaming.

More Information: Conan 2d20 can be as crunchy and as complex as we want it to be, though the core mechanic is quite accessible. No experience or books are necessary. The scenarios I design are based on actual weird fiction published in the early twentieth century. Ideally, the adventures are to be completed within one game session. Though games will be offered on an “episode” or short story basis, characters can earn experience points and return for later adventures. For Foundry VTT, I am using the Simple Worldbuilding System. It contains no automation for 2d20. Also, because I’m fairly new to online gaming in general, we can run into some hiccups. Please be gracious.

1 Like

I’d love to give it a go Gabe!

1 Like

That’s great! I’ll send you a fresh Discord link after I get at least one more. I know @Isaiah has been interested.

I’m going to take a moment to think out loud here… BSers running for BSers was one of the topics that Sean digressed upon during this morning’s “Just Chatting.” I think he’s considering exploring a way to “formalize” this process. If this game here doesn’t fire, I think that any further offerings will be contingent on whatever—if anything—Sean puts together around this.

To be clear, it’s all neither here nor there for me. I have a consistent Conan group already, but I have time to run some more, and BSers seem like the best people for which to run. But if I decide I absolutely must run more than for which my regular group provides me opportunity, I know I can, in a moment. People are always “looking for game” in a number of Conan-specific communities.

2 Likes

If you are still shooting for the 12th I’m still in. I’ll go hit that character generator of my PC and send him to you. I don’t know the system but I figure I’ll go full random and see what I get.

Can you do Thursday the 21st at 7:30? I went ahead and rescheduled, assuming that I had no further takers for Tuesday.

Then again, I’m not sure if @Grotonomus was responding to the 21st or the 12th. I’m sorry if I have made this confusing, guys!

I was responding to the new time @Gabe.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m looking to fire on the 21st now, @Isaiah. Hopefully that’s good for you, too!

I should be able to do the 21st. I’ll confirm with the person who is actually in charge of my life.

So, I am available, but only until 11:00 PM eastern, so I think that’s 10 PM for you.

I don’t want to cut out early, but I have to be up early on Friday and spend the entire day dealing with a bunch of doctors complaining about each other.

1 Like

Shouldn’t be a problem! The scenario should be doable in a few hours’ time. Anyway, we’ll fly casual.

As of Jan 10, this game is filled! Thanks, folks! Anyone else should feel free to express interest, because you never know what will happen with other people’s schedules and such. :wink:

2 Likes

I just played a game of Conan 2d20 this last Saturday, friend of mine is running. Love how the system is working so far. I wanted to join this game, @Gabe, but I need to get my house moving stuff done first. damn… so much cool stuff going on and all this real-world shit getting in my way.

Anyway, I hope to get in on the next one!

1 Like

It’s great to hear that you’ve got to experience this one, Brett! After you get a few more sessions in (because it sounds like there might be more for you), maybe we can get a show topic out of it from you. Is Conan 2d20 too narrow? How about “Sword & Sorcery in Gaming: What Is It? And Is It Actually Different from Fantasy?” Yeah, maybe too literary. :wink:

2 Likes

Totally going to do that. I need some more experience with it and then I’ll dive into a show topic (I have PDFs of the rules so I’m reading up on those as well to see if that’ll help me when the next session comes along).

1 Like

I admit that there are a lot of rules. As the campaign progresses, the players (as well as the characters) tend to learn what all is possible. That Momentum table! Only in the last few sessions of my regular group did I learn about 1 Momentum to ignore 2 Soak and 1 Momentum to reroll any number of damage dice! There are so many opportunities for unintentional “suboptimal” play, mostly because so many choices! :joy:

1 Like

Hey @gabe,

So who all is playing on Thursday the 21st?