Brett's MERP Game

My kids are having a lot of fun with our MERP game. Defeated some orc scouts, cleared out the tower the orcs were holding. Saved the dwarven prisoners, found the hidden treasure room… of course they almost died multiple times. Brutal combat critical charts almost did them in a few times - Safe to say they’ve learned to only engage the enemy when they’re pretty sure they’ve got a solid chance to win, or when they have no other choice.

6 Likes

Beautiful set of materials. :heart:

1 Like

I always love seeing people’s tables and all of the items they have in a game, and the DM prep materials. I also have an addiction to seeing what apps people use for work and play, and how they setup their desks.

3 Likes

I’ve never been good at “quick math” - just a skill I’ve never pushed myself to learn. So that’s why I’ve got the old school calculator.

Die roll is 95 + 25 Offense Bonus - 5 due to impact from previous wound - 45 Defense Bonus of the opponent = …

So I can punch that stuff up quick on the calculator and combat moves along. I do also find that my “quick math” skills do get better as the game session goes so that’s handy :slight_smile:

(I should say that I know that math example isn’t hard at all - but, for me anyway, when I’m trying to move combat along I get flustered when I’ve got to slow down and run the numbers in my head)

1 Like

Hey, man. I’m totally the same way (we’re both English majors). But if you say anything like this in most Rolemaster groups, get ready for a reactive chastising! :scream:

So, like you, I love MERP. Nostalgia. Tolkien was my first and most abiding love. MERP was my first game. So, despite its many flaws (now, don’t say that in any MERP groups, even though its writer Coleman Charlton is the first to say it —“It’s a tool set,” he says), that’s the game I want to play. But I don’t want to play precisely that.

I think it can be turned upside down to accommodate what the industry has learned about at-table cognitive load and resolution efficiency. I want to make it a roll-under percentile mechanic (like CoC). Die values landing in different exponents = levels of Skill success. To minimize fiddly modifiers, I want bennies: roll x d10s; now you can replace places in your percentile roll with these numbers, or variations of this principle.

You see? This is the my game I’ve been thinking about.

1 Like