357 Always Be Prepping

http://gamingandbs.com/357

Always be prepping rpg’s. Many people don’t think Brett does any prep for his games, but that’s not necessarily true.

2 Likes

Just finished this one. And it really resonated with me. I am the worst of both worlds. I sit and prep a lot, but I’m also always thinking about it.

3 Likes

One of my favorite things about running games is thinking about these things. I write down a lot of the stuff I cook up in my musings in my phone or one of several note books. Most of the time it does not relate to any adventure I’m running but I can use it (or never use it?) some other time

2 Likes

I really enjoyed this episode - It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who spends his days constantly thinking about gaming/campaigns/DMing.
Almost everything I do inevitably gets filtered through the lens of gaming.

Visiting ruined castles while travelling is the obvious extreme, but that flows all the way to - “wow that software at work could also be used to help my prep work.”

I do like to write stuff down & build websites for campaigns (mostly so the players “homework” is in one central location rather than in a host of emails), but all of that it just a way to help solidify what i want to use in a game & what i want it to look/feel like for the players - the rest of it is all “in the head” prepping in the mode Brett mentioned.

Painting minis - inspiration for gaming, reading novels - inspiration for gaming, nonfiction - again inspiration for gaming, movies…ditto.

Even my video gaming tend towards fantasy - and I look for missions to steal, mechanics, cool swords with different bonuses/abilities based on where they were forged (Witcher 3 did that to me).

Walking the dog on the trails near my home becomes “ohh - lizardmen could wait in ambush by the river there…that hillside & thicket would be difficult terrain…”

It very rarely shuts off, but it really is good to know I’m not the only one who quietly goes about his day being a fun, hopefully healthy, sort of crazy.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Rory

4 Likes