356 Picture This

Using an image to portray the scene. Montage boards, throwing a picture down on the table or simply describing it to the players.

http://gamingandbs.com/356

Back when I was running a Ptolus game I downloaded a ton of images from the book, as well as cherrypicking images that “fit” the campaign and pit them all in one folder on my PC - then set the images from that folder running on a loop on a monitor in the game room - whenever someone glanced over they had an image of the city or something that fit the tone of the setting.
Worked well for me and ,I think, the players.

:slight_smile: Rory

3 Likes

Part of my game prep involves finding particular images. Usually important NPCs, particular landscapes or architecture, creatures, etc. We’re playing in Discord, so it’s easy to share whatever maps or images I need as they come up. (When we start meeting in person again, I have a large television on the wall that will take over image duties.)

3 Likes

Lately I use Pinterest to gather images for inspiration & to display in game.
I sort them by Campaign or Concept.

Here is my Greyhawk board - which I think of as my “Old School, AD&D” board.

:slight_smile: Rory

2 Likes

Regarding your Delta Green experiment, I suggest using pregens that fit architypes that you both agree on. Here’s why:

1. Both groups will be the same mechanically, meaning that the only difference in how a situation will unfold will be reliant on how the GM and players act, not dependent on group makeup.
  2. It will allow the GM’s to easily compare and contrast what happens in their games without having to mention players or characters by name. e.g.
    “In my group, the techie hacked into the security system and accidentally set it off”
    “No way! In my group, the techie built a drone that covered up the cameras while they snuck through the facility.”
  3. If you allow players to fill in the name and biography, it can be used to illustrate how different players can roleplay different characters with the same stat-block.

That’s my two cents. I’m excited for this and definitely want to be a player if my schedule allows.

2 Likes

Those make good sense. And I can see how it will leverage the compare and contrast. The biggest problem I see with it is this. Brett and I, or one of us, will have to actually take this component on. IOW, now we need to decide what pregens to use and will that have to be Brett and I agreeing to them or can the other trust the other to do it in a timely fashion? There are times that we are just too busy or don’t make time to execute. One option is for me to pick out pregens and simply let Brett know, I’m using pregens. If you want to use the same ones, here they are. I also think this infringes upon our respected styles. If I’m doing this and that, and Brett chooses to go at a different pace - slower or faster and his reasons why, is also a part of the experiment.

Sure, if you’re running your own con game this is straightforward. Throw in another person and it can be design by committee.

Part of posting the game will involve, at least in my case, the “Hey, just an fyi…we will be talking about this game on the podcast. We will mention your name and character. It may seem like criticism is being thrown around, that is not our intention, nor do we want this to impact you negatively, but you need to be aware of this ahead of time. You are opting into this type of forum. We will also be recording the live play for others to listen to. You could see comments or reviews on sessions or the series that are negative in nature. This is something to consider.” etc.

Just some things that are going through my head as we approach this project.

3 Likes

While I’ve yet to play (and it’s likely top of my not-yet-played list) is Swords Without Master. If I’m recalling this correctly, you bring a picture that will help define your character. It’s known as an eidolon and finding a photo/piece of art/other media is part of character creation.

It’s an approach I’ve started using lately in a couple of my own designs because it can be such a handy shortcut for character builds and presentation.