332 Unloading Gaming Gear

@Rweston
I’m trying to imagine the monsters in Pathfinder Bestiary 6:

Keychain Mimic
Succubus Pox (MTD - monster transmitted disease)
Displacer Kitten
Mr. Roper (he’s a tentacled-stalagmite AND your idiot landlord)

4 Likes

Lots of high level monsters in 6, creepy insects, droning daemons great old ones, arch devils…the cover sums it up…

I love monster manuals of any and all sorts - I have more of them than any other type of game book I think.
:grinning:

1 Like

In response to wanting more 1E: Brett, are you eating the books? What are you still missing?

2 Likes

Want a second MM2 for sure… let me do a check…

1 Like

He’s internalizing the system so as to better run the Greyhawk campaign!!

1 Like

2 Likes

There is a lot to internalize.

While I am digging, I keep finding crunchy things I squirreled away.

2 Likes

You play HackMaster also?!?

No. Did I make a HackMaster reference by accident? :slight_smile: I would be down with playing Hackmaster sometime but have never cracked the books open. Not even sure I own the PDFs.

Jolly really went meta on that game. A rule set based on the RPG they play in a B&W comic strip that is based on an older version of an existing game. Are there all the varients to fireball spell that they used in the strip? e.g. “Skipping Betty”

2 Likes

Sorry, I forgot to quote. I was playing off off

“Remember that time we all bought the fantasy game that fixed all the problems of previous fantasy games? Man, that was a great investment. I’ve played nothing but that game we bought ever since.”

That was my joke. That HM is the perfect system. (Which it’s absolutely not, but no one here knows that.)

3 Likes

All-ish.
Nuclear Yield Fireball has range (50 yards) and Area of Effect (1 mile radius) but the rest is rescinded.

1 Like

Mm, we might not know, but some of us suspect very strongly.

:wink:

3 Likes

I had both Aria books for a long time - couldn’t slog through them though. Finally sold 'em off.

I still have both, and I believe one of us convinced the other to pick them up, but I don’t remember the guilty party. Have almost gotten to the point of ditching them, but there are a whole lot of other gaming things before them in the queue.

Yeah, I recall us having the discussion about them and how dense/complex it seemed. No idea who started it though :slight_smile:

The Aria Worlds book has actually been useful in world design for me. The trick is that you have to read it backward section by section. It actually makes more sense that way…

2 Likes

Wow. REAL magic.

2 Likes

Hello fellow BSers - Regarding Episode 332 Unloading Gaming Gear aka culling your collection - Alex Radcliffe of BoardGameCo. recently posted a video about How to Get Board Games to the Table and I found that the principles he presented in this video helped me think more clearly about my RPG collection. If you think wisely about the games that you acquire, you will have less trouble with managing the size of your collection. And some of these principles can be used to evaluate the games you already own to decide what to keep vs. what to unload.

So, you ask, what are these principles?

1 - Don’t buy games that will be hard to get to the table. Or, in this context, don’t keep games that are hard to get to the table. (Unless you can use them as source material for games you can get to the table.)

2 - Capitalize on the excitement - i.e. play that new RPG while it’s still fresh and you are excited about it. You are probably less likely to play a game that you bought a few years ago and is just sitting there gathering dust on your shelf. The initial excitement has worn off. Are you honestly ever going to play that? If not, let it go.

2a - Don’t get too many games at once. This one resonates for me with all the RPG PDF bundles I purchased last year. Most of those games I haven’t even looked at, let alone read through. Some of them I haven’t even downloaded. I don’t regret these purchases as they supported charities, but still, buying a lot of games at once creates an instant backlog of unplayed games. At least they are PDFs, so they aren’t taking up space on my shelves, but they are still inventory and do weigh on my mind. (See The Minimal Mom’s video on A Key Lesson on Inventory for her thoughts on the mental toll of keeping excess inventory.)

3 - Read the rulebook, and do it again. If you do want to get an RPG to the table, whether it’s new to you or one that you’d like to play again, the better you know the rules, the easier it will be to get the game up and running.

4 - Set the game up - or in the RPG context, create a few characters, run a demo combat and/or social encounter. Learn the mechanics by playing through them, either solo or with your gaming group. If you are trying to decide whether or not to keep a game, take it out on a test drive. Or if you are trying to decide whether or not to acquire a new one, look for a quickstart to try before you buy.

5 - Know your group dynamic. What kinds of genres do they like? How crunchy or narrative of a system do they prefer? Do they prefer one-shots, short campaigns, or longer campaigns? Defined settings and scenarios, or open worlds? Certain RPGs lend themselves to different game lengths and playing styles, so these types of questions can be helpful when deciding whether to acquire a game, keep one you have, or let it go. Does your group even like trying new RPGs, or would they prefer to stick to what they know?

I thought these ideas from BoardGameCo. were applicable to thinking about what RPGs to acquire and what RPGs I own that I want to keep or unload. I hope these are helpful to others, as well.

Best regards,
TrailHead

5 Likes