307 - Making Thieving Interesting

@Grotonomus mentioned this in a different thread:

So I came across this vid on the book of faces or spacebook as I call it sometimes. I hope you can see it.

(https://www.facebook.com/charlotte.rion/videos/10158644755039729/)

This got me inspired to run more complex thieving games and heist ops in my DCC games. I am definitely going to add this into my Lankhmar game when I get it off the ground.

What if anything would you do to spice up thieving, lock picking, legerdemain, second story work, etc. in your games?

I see this to be extremely applicable to Brett’s Avalon setting.

We’ll be talking about this on the episode we’re recording on Monday, August 17 at 8pm cdt.

You will find it at https://gamingandbs.com/307

2 Likes

One of my favorite things is the forgery kit a rouge can have. I love the roleplaying opportunities a good forged note or document can get started. Even just an innocent note form the local guard captain can really liven up a session. Lol. I also like to provide encounters where more than just the rouge get to try their hand at roguish things like pulling con game style stuff to buy/sell questionable goods. Some players can do a good “use car salesman” roleplay. "Really this buggy was owned by a little old elf from Pasadena! "

1 Like

A specific adventure to look at is DCC Free RPG Day 2012 'The Jewler that Dealt in Stardust".

That is a weird and fun thieves adventure built around the burglary of a storefront in Punjar the original DCC city setting. Punjar is basically Lankhmar and has elements that fit in with Avalon as well.

Also there was the Goodman Games ‘Greatest Thieves in Lankhmar’ Kickstarter this summer.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have the funds to back it, but I’m hoping I can buy it for Christmas this year.

3 Likes

We called a last minute audible. This one will be coming out next week. Recording to be Monday, August 24.

1 Like

Just finished the show! Woot, great show as always. Oh and since you asked. I do live under a Roc. If you think pidgeon droppings are a pain to wash of your car you should see mine.

3 Likes

Loved this one. We were just talking during last night’s Castles and Crusades game. Side convo popped up about Fantasy Flight Star Wars, and I was poking fun of the fact that’s the GM just arbitrarily making up the result. "How do you know the difference between two successes and THREE successes? " One guy kinda got defensive, a few other made quick jabs, and I clarified my position, “I mean, shouldn’t ALL GM’s kinda be doing this… just narrating based on what they see on the dice? Don’t get me wrong, if you love math and crunch, it’s probably not the game for you, but I do stuff like this in my games too.”

Also, if you’re ever gaming and a fighter heals someone, or a cleric picks a lock, and you happen to hear a faint percussion on the distant horizon, it’s probably just me beating the drum of niche protection.

2 Likes

:clears throat:
@LaramieWall, FFG Star Wars…the players describe the success, sometimes with help from GM and others. GM is to describe the failures. Obviously a group can do it any way they want, but that’s how it’s positioned in RAW. And no, I have GM’s run me games and it’s “ok, they attack Sean’s guy. Does 15 hit? No. Ok. Next”

3 Likes

Great episode. I especially liked the discussion of establishing difficulty through narrative description (and questions from the players.) This method encourages group participation in overcoming obstacles, instead of just picking-the-pc-with-the-best-plus.

I think this is all role playing at it’s best (not just thieving).

Preperation and good box-text can accomplish this. This is one of the reasons I don’t often “riff” instead of reading high-quality (aka well tested) box text.

Context is everything - OldSchoolDM

3 Likes