303 Dungeon Crawls

That’s right, it’s episode 303 on Dungeon Crawls. Dropping tomorrow to the public.

https://gamingandbs.com/303

Dungeon crawls. Confined spaces for your rpg player characters to adventure through. The concept Brett comes up with doesn’t mean it has to be a dark, dank, underground structure.

Confused? No worries. We recorded Alex last week, but the audio was unacceptable. I’m trying to fix it so it’s tolerable. We will release that audio as a Bonus BS episode.

3 Likes

Ah, that’s what the hold up was. I’ve been digging into the archives (random episodes between 160-180) waiting for this one to drop.

That was great stuff, listening to you mull over and struggle with the idea of running a West Marches campaign.

1 Like

I do love a good dungeon crawl. I’m not done with the episode yet (I enjoyed it on my commute) but diggin’ it so far. Funny, because my two current campaigns are Barrowmaze, which is a HUGE dungeon, and the A series in Castles and Crusades, which is an overland sand-box-ey game. As far as what Sean was saying about the repetition and redundancy of a dungeon, I polled my party around new years, let them know they were about 10-15% done, and do they want to keep going.

Also, Yoga by Adrian on youtube. There’s a TON of them, they’re free, and I feel like she does a good job.

Cheers

1 Like

I think I’m subb’d to Adrian. But it doesn’t seem to work. Subbing, that is.

1 Like

As I was listening to episode 303 I would think of the new game group I am in. I think most of them would be good with a little home brewed dungeon crawl. However we have that one guy that “only” will play pre-published adventures (sorry Sean). So thinking of the episode and thinking it would be fun to try and find a small dungeon pre-published adventure, I get on adventurelookup.com and start putting in the credentials and get a couple hundred results. Before I start diving through all of these does anyone have a favorite? And according to Brett my life is a dungeon crawl wink wink.

Thanks again for another entertaining and thought provoking episode.
Mike Hess

What was the name of the other podcast that hit 100 episodes? I could not find the show notes to find out the info.

Tabletop Bellhop (https://www.tabletopbellhop.com)

I run Swords & Wizardry, and I’ve had a lot of fun with the mini-dungeons and adventures from Creations Edge. I’m not sure if you need, specifically, 5e product, though? If you’re ambitious, anything can be converted, I suppose.

http://www.creationsedgegames.com/

1 Like

Hi Gabe, thank you, that is awesome. Sad to say I had not heard of Creations Edge, I appreciate the tip.

After listening to this episode, it suddenly occurred to me that Bluebeard’s Bride is a dungeon crawl. It’s a gothic horror game where everyone takes turns playing the title character (the Bride) as she wanders her husband’s house on her first night before they consummate their marriage. You go from room-to-room discovering the horrible skeleton in your husband’s closet to discover if you will join Bluebeard as his murderous bride or become his next victim.

Huh.

1 Like

There’s a lot of definition gymnastics in this episode -

“A house is a dungeon” for example.

Let me make up a quote citing the formula from The Sphinx (Mystery men)

• “If every house is a dungeon, you make every dungeon your house!”

Seriously tho, refining the term dungeon crawl to be the exploration of an enclosed environment is pretty dang squishy. We have other words for that definition already, such as “adventure” and “encounter area” and …

Also, the crawl nature of the phrase was instantly translated to the derogatory slog in the episode as well, with Brett saying (late in the episode) that if it’s a slog “you’re doing it wrong.” :warning: That always sets off my alarms. :warning:

To me, crawl doesn’t mean boring, it means massive and seemingly endless (as a specific design feature - to evoke a specific feelings from the players, such as hopelessness and urgency.)

Traveling the jungles of Chult in Tomb of Annihilation contains a massive jungle crawl with the nasty Death Curse as a timer, it also includes at least one major dungeon crawl.

The episode was fine in trying to share how to make crawls more interesting, but it got distracted by the semantic flubbery trying to make everything a dungeon. Not every limited-choice environment is a dungeon.

OldSchoolDM

The Sphinx: Do not go there, my son! When you doubt your powers, you give power to your doubts.

Mr. Furious: Okay. Am I the only one who finds these sayings just a bit formulaic? “If you wanna put something down, you gotta pick it up”. “If you wanna go left, you gotta go right”.

2 Likes

I was expecting this feedback. Because I agree. It’s like saying everything that has 4 walls and a roof is a house.