284 Innovation in RPG Delivery and Presentation

Sort of like Valve creating Steam to distribute other publishers’ video games in addition to their own.

2 Likes

A quick thought after listening to Episode 284.

All the suggestions catered to players and GMs without physical challenges - what about the deaf, blind, etc participants? I recently purchased a Braille dice set. You would be astonished at the size of a Braille game book!

Audio, video, and technology requirements may actually set up walls to more and easier playing.

Still an important and interesting episode.

3 Likes

Damned good thoughts/insights! That would be some pretty kick-ass innovation to be able to support those gamers at that level.

1 Like

Jacob Wood runs a blog/RPG company that deals with a lot of accessibility issues and solutions in games. http://accessiblegames.biz

2 Likes

What was the map keeper tool Tim used in the ASSH YouTube game? I tried searching for it but I couldn’t seem to track it down. Tim and Brett both sounded positive about it. I’m trying to find something easy to use to add to my online games.

Thanks for the help.

this is the app: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mapkeeper-net/id1373749943

1 Like

Only available for Apple.

1 Like

Once Brett put up the link I did some digging and found a version for android.

3 Likes

Thanks, Brett!

1 Like

I think it would be bizzare to have a blind since birth DM. They experience the world so differently and don’t have much reference for certain things. Think about the fact that color doesn’t matter to them or that they don’t have any reference for fantasy creatures beyond descriptions.

Which is why I’d go with a blind GM to run a game of fantasy characters travelling into our world. Without that bias of how things look, they can make our world seem magical compared to how sighted GMs do it.

A small detail can make a big difference in RPG delivery and presentation for some and not be noticed by others.

“Atkinson Hyperlegible font is named after Braille Institute founder, J. Robert Atkinson. What makes it different from traditional typography design is that it focuses on letterform distinction to increase character recognition, ultimately improving readability. We are making it free for anyone to use.”

4 Likes