274 The Next Game

We use some feedback from @rayotus to talk about in the main topic. Thank you Ray!

“The fallacy that ‘the next game’ is the one that will make you happy. It’s nearly identical to the consumer fallacy that the next thing you buy is the thing that will make you happy. Until you ‘fix’ the game you are in and learn how to have fun NOW, the next game is simply a temporary solution that allows you to outrun or dodge your problems.

Sean shares his brief thoughts on the latest Star Wars movie, and some great Random Encounters.

1 Like

This was a very good episode! I most certainly agree that one’s own attitude can impact a session or game’s fun level, for better or worse. I hope everyone has great fun thoughout this coming year.
Thanks @rayotus for the awesome words of encouragement. They actually come at a time when I have been irritated by one of my groups. It’s clear reminder to be positive and help the group move past this spot.

3 Likes

Very cool! Glad you all found my words inspiring on some level. For me it’s a realization of what you have (and being grateful for it and really investing in it) verses dreaming about things you don’t have and may never have and which probably wouldn’t materialize as awesomely as you imagine they would. E.g. you “think” you want a colonial gothic game about a fantasy version of North America that is low magic … but if you got to that point and managed to build or buy the world and get a group of players to go along … would the joy last for you? Would it be as great as you thought it would be? Meanwhile, you are ALREADY playing a game (perhaps) with a group. And your energy is going into a dream bucket when it could be going into your current game table.

3 Likes

If you have enough energy for both – to fully invest in your current game AND work toward making the colonial gothic setting fly – then god bless.

2 Likes

I think this topic was a great bookend for the year.

Thanks to everyone here for the community, here’s to another great year of gaming.

3 Likes

The metaphor I devised for this, though perhaps I’m talking about something different, was “looking into other people’s backyards.” What I mean is that I kept hearing about great games, and I kept hearing glowing testimonials from those who were playing them, that I kept wanting to DO THAT rather than focusing on—and remaining content with—the emerging narrative I already had on hand.

Funny. The beginning of this year, for me, is at odds with the wisdom here, perhaps. I’ve recently put my long-running old school D&D game, which might be the best campaign I’ve run so far, on indefinite hiatus so that two gamers and I can casually explore some of these “newer” games I own. (I try to make use of my purchases, not just read them.) First up is Conan 2d20. I also have The One Ring and (later this year) Against the Darkmaster. I’d also play with AS&SH, but, last time I tried, the system inexorably slid into my homebrewed Swords & Wizardry. I can’t help it.

4 Likes