273 Consequences in RPGs

Consequences in role-playing games. We talk a lot about how “If the PC or Player does something ‘stupid’ they should pay the price for it’ – but is one way of doing this better than another?

1 Like

This episode should have been subtitled “how to maximize your passive aggressive behavior towards your players”

In all those problem situations, wouldn’t a quick conversation have been the more adult way of dealing with the issue?

4 Likes

Yes. I think this would apply to…oooh…maybe 50% of our topics. LOL.

5 Likes

I’ll echo Chris Shorb and expound a bit.

I do think player issues are best solved with a private, away from the table talk.

I think some of the player issues are smoothed out with give and take.
“I jump to the other side”
IF you give players a “OK, but before you jump, you’re not super sure you can jump it. Your character has never jumped that far before,” then the next time something comes up it’s easier to remind folks you aren’t out to get them.

Also, @Fafhrd, hope the bottle of charcoal wrapped nails is good. Life is short for things we don’t enjoy… (which is why we house rule).

2 Likes

It’s seriously some of the best Scotch I’ve ever had. Thank you!

1 Like

As a psychology professor, I need to gently correct @Fafhrd ‘s use of the term negative reinforcement. Negative reinforcement is not the same as punishment. Negative reinforcement results in the increase of behavior due to the removal of an aversive stimulus (e.g., wearing a hat when it’s cold). Venkman gets it wrong in Ghostbusters too.

4 Likes

I welcome the correction :slight_smile: - thank you! I’ve been looking at that/thinking about it incorrectly for a long time now. Thank you for setting me straight.

3 Likes