260 RPG Character Sheets

The mighty role-playing game character sheet. It’s at the core of almost every rpg that has been published. There’s the presentation of the character sheet. Some help you understand the game. We talk about them.
https://gamingandbs.com/260

2 Likes

Awesome episode although I might be a little biased. I liked the Tim Deschene shout out he is a great DM.

3 Likes

My takeaways from this episode:

Ideal character sheets should walk players through character creation. They also should organize the most useful information and help the player to make in-game decisions.

This might be why I always make my own “character sheets.” When I was a kid, I didn’t want to spend 10 cents at the public library to photocopy a character sheet (the few I had might as well have been gold). But I got used to it. I liked to put the relevant information where I wanted it. I think–especially with more rulesy games–character sheets have too much on it because they (generally) function for every type of character. For this reason, class-specific character sheets are good.

There definitely is something in user experience here–probably even in learning styles. As a DM, I like to color in my dungeon maps – here is a light source, here is water, here is something special. Visual cues are essential for me to run a game smoothly. I need less of this on a character sheet, but I can see some gamers benefitting from information presented in a more visual way. Here is a humanoid form centered in the sheet with lines for where gear is covered and its bonuses and mechanics in terms of gameplay. Perhaps sketches of even the equipment is a good idea–it certainly puts encumbrance rules into perspective.

I also like the index card approach, particularly for con games.

2 Likes

I’m coming here without listening the the whole thing, but I want to just say I played in Jason’s adult session for Isle of Dread and loved it. My other friends enjoyed it as well. The hexmap worked really well to keep us heading toward our main objective. We knew we wanted to go to the central objective and made a path toward it, while having to go around some mountains, and knowing that each hex was a potential encounter was fun.

I enjoy those style of games, where it’s like a dungeon crawl, but with more choices outdoors. Kick the door down, what happens? You can only move 2 hexes a day. Each one functions as time keeping and to keep it interesting.

2 Likes

I think that you guys were totally on the mark regarding DIY character sheets. For me, making my own sheet was crucial to hammering home the why’s behind the math. I used PowerPoint, as it was the best I had and really didn’t want to search around for something better. The process was the key, not the aesthetic quality of the end product. There are lots of caveats as to why my sheet looks the way it does, but one of the things that I did which really helped my son is separating out the modifiers and also putting the skills under the relevant attribute. I’ve included a link to the sheet just as an illustration of how I went about the process. The sheet is set up for a sorcerer, but has stuff partially entered for my son’s rogue character.

Cheers!

3 Likes

If anyone wants to make their own character sheets, Affinity has a couple of applications that I can recommend. One is Designer, which is their Illustrator competitor, and the other is Publisher, which is their InDesign competitor. I use Designer at work for mocking up UIs, but it also has good support for print design. I use Publisher at home for handouts and other RPG-related material. I think either one would be suitable for making character sheets.

They’re each $50 once (no subscription costs), and they have free trials so you can try them out before spending any money.

(But to be honest, most of the time I just use notebook paper for my character sheets. Or maybe some of this stuff.)

1 Like

I like what I have seen of the game so far, but often when I start looking at a new game, I’ll walk myself through character creation. When I did that with Zweihander, there were several times when I looked at what the game was asking me to do next and asking “why isn’t there a space for that on the character sheet?”

1 Like

Good to know. Thanks Jim!

I’ve been looking for any new Pathfinder 2 resources to bring to my sessions and just look at with the possibility of moving to PF2. I’m sure there are others like this for other games, but the big one for PF1 and now PF2 is the Autosheet by darthmarth28. I’ve barely played with it, but plan to more in the near future. Adds a lot of automation for at the table play. Stuff such as modifiers due to spells and conditions to encumbrance and more.

There is a Reddit post with all sorts of resources for PF2 players and has 20+ links to characters sheets of all flavors. It’s amazing what some people come up with.

I’ve always used the basic character sheet printed or the sheet on Fantasy Grounds, but for my live sessions I’m curious about using something like this. Just to speed up play and looking at modifiers. I’ve done what we all have done and scribbled my modifiers all over my sheet and sometimes it just gets really complicated. I want to reference my rulebook as little as possible while I’m at a table with others.

Autosheet by DarthMarth28

Pathfinder 2 Resources Reddit

The first sheets I recall using are the green Basic D&D ones when we played the B series. I like how the old West End Star Wars ones were simple and easy to use.

For 5E, I like the hand drawn character sheets by Dyson Logos. And DCC releasing scratch off character sheets for 0-level PCs was pretty awesome. I also really like the organization of the AS&SH character sheets. I even got some of those on goldenrod!

1 Like